too long for dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doornumber3

Reaction score
I dry hopped a citrus IPA yesterday with only 1 oz cascade (had 2 ozs last 5 minutes of boil). I'm going away next weekend.....do you think 2 weeks is too long for a dry hop.....it's a small amount but don't want to ruin anything.

While you will be alright, a lot of has have moved away from long dry hop times, tending toward 3-5 days of hop/beer contact, which reduces any potential for vegetal aromas. Either way, your beer will be fine.

While you will be alright, a lot of has have moved away from long dry hop times, tending toward 3-5 days of hop/beer contact, which reduces any potential for vegetal aromas. Either way, your beer will be fine.

+1 I recently started doing 3-4 day dry hop times and I have noticed a marked improvement in the quality of dry hop character.

nukebrewer said:
+1 I recently started doing 3-4 day dry hop times and I have noticed a marked improvement in the quality of dry hop character.

I recently began focusing more on late kettle additions, leaving out dry hop completely... and I like it better!

I've done aroma additions in the BK at 3 minutes left that worked ok. But dry hopping was more intense by comparison,imo.

unionrdr said:
I've done aroma additions in the BK at 3 minutes left that worked ok. But dry hopping was more intense by comparison,imo.

For hoppy beer, you gotta toss a good amount in at flameout, after turning your chiller on. It's incredible.

I recently began focusing more on late kettle additions, leaving out dry hop completely... and I like it better!

I've been doing that a lot lately as well except I also dry hop. My last few IPAs the schedule has been FWH, 10, 5, 0 (let stand for 15-20 min before cutting in chiller water) and dry hop. Might have to try it without the dry hops and up the FWH addition.

nukebrewer said:
I've been doing that a lot lately as well except I also dry hop. My last few IPAs the schedule has been FWH, 10, 5, 0 (let stand for 15-20 min before cutting in chiller water) and dry hop. Might have to try it without the dry hops and up the FWH addition.

I guess Abita has stopped dry hopping altogether...

I dry hopped in my primary with one oz of mosaic for 14 days. Now I am paranoid about having a grassy/stemmy/veggie flavor. I tasted my hydro sample, it tasted good but I feel like I'm getting that stemmy after taste. Did I dry hop too long?

i_heart_beer said:
I dry hopped in my primary with one oz of mosaic for 14 days. Now I am paranoid about having a grassy/stemmy/veggie flavor. I tasted my hydro sample, it tasted good but I feel like I'm getting that stemmy after taste. Did I dry hop too long?

In my opinion (which is all this topic can be based on), that's far too long- I don't go over 5 days, usually 3.

Eh, have done 5-7 days in the primary, but more recently have just been dropping them in the keg in a sack, racking directly onto them, and leaving them in the keg until kicked. It definitely takes longer to get the full dry hop impact, and I think the colder temperatures in general prevent some of the vegetal/grassy from coming out as because I've had them in there for a month or more with no issues. YMMV.

i ended up leaving this dry hopped for about 7 days -- the sample (ok i won't lie, it was a pint :mug: tasted incredibly good. Can't wait for carbonation and cold!

Back