Too late to try to cool fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmGeeTee

Reaction score
Hey e'ryone...

I've been looking for posts on this but haven't found any strong answers. I pitched yesterday evening at 70* (WLP001), and put the carboy up on a wire shelf in my nice cool basement like I normally do, but I just got home and the crystal strip thermometer's reading 79*. I know that's too high, but I wonder if it's too late to do anything.

I could make a swamp cooler of put some ice packs around it, but I wonder if it's just too late. Should I do something quick to try and cool it down or let it finish and relax?

Most of the off flavors come from when the yeast is reproducing during the first 24 hours or so. That has already come and gone. Trying to cool it from almost 80 to down below 70 would likely shock the yeast and make them fall dormant. What is the beer?

A pretty straightforward IPA. Which is probably going to make off-flavors more noticeable, I'd imagine. So is it a bad idea to do some half-measure, like putting ice packs around it?

This might turn into a learning experience. Let it run it's course. Try to keep it from getting any warmer though.

That's funny. I am in the same situation. I brewed BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Saturday morning. I pitched Nottingham (different from the recipe I think) around 2pm at 75F. I put it in my ferm chamber but didn't turn it on. I went to a hop festival and checked on it the next day by noon. It went crazy. I had to clean up a pint or two from the bottom of my ferm chamber. The temp was around 78F. I changed the airlock (4 times within a few hours) and cooled to 68F. It seems to have slowed down considerably. It's still going though.

I'll check the gravity in a couple weeks when I keg. I'll let you know how mine turns out. let us know how yours turns out.

I just checked my FG, its at 1.015. My OG was 1.058, maybe 1.060 (my efficiency was higher than expected... I was shooting for 1.055).

So, cooling didn't appear to have a negative affect on the yeast. I didn't taste any off flavors either so I think I'm in the clear.

Have you sampled yours yet EmGeeTee?

Back