Too late for Malto-dextrin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwbrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was brewing a mini-mash clone of Young's Double Choc Stout. I couldn't find my malto-dextrin during the boil but found it yesterday when I was transferring into the secondary. Is it too late to boil the dextrin and add it to the brew? My thinking is that this stuff is most non-fermentables and even if it kicks up a bit I'll just let it settle out a bit longer. Am I missing something?

Ideally it will need boiling to ensure it is sanitised and properly dissolved which will result in you diluting the brew. As it has no taste I personally wouldn't bother.

DAAB said:
Ideally it will need boiling to ensure it is sanitised and properly dissolved which will result in you diluting the brew. As it has no taste I personally wouldn't bother.
I was planning on boiling it for sanitation and to insure it dissolves fully. Sure it has no taste but I'm thinking the mouthfeel, esp. since it's for the chocolate stout, would be enhanced.

Isn't malto dextrin somewhat fermentable? I believe I remember 10% for some reason.

It can vary, the figures I have are 35% fermentability (as a guide).

I was planning on boiling it for sanitation and to insure it dissolves fully. Sure it has no taste but I'm thinking the mouthfeel, esp. since it's for the chocolate stout, would be enhanced.

I which case you will be dilluting the recipe by increasing the original volume, I don't think you will gain much at all.

Dextrine malt has some fermentables, but MD is not fermentable by yeast. 8 ounces in a cup of water won't dilute the brew much.

Back