Too early to check the FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyfish

Reaction score
Making my second batch now, and I'm thrilled with the fermentation. I put into primary one week ago today and had bubbling 20 hours later, and it is still bubbling occasionally. Should I bother taking the lid off to check the SG since I think that there is some fermentation still occurring? Or should I let it go another day until I see no more signs of fermentation?

One more question - Is FG typically taken at the end of primary or just before bottling (assuming a secondary)?

Thanks, as always.

First Ques.

Do you know what the final S.G. sould be? (about)

How often is it bubbling?

AND I would say check the S.G. and see what it is...if its seems high them leave it for a few days..if it seems about right ...leave it and check it again for a day or two.. if it doesn't change...go to secondary!

The F.G. should be taken after secondary before bottling sugar!
hope this helps

and if all elts fails try the 1-2-3!

Your fine to check the gravity when ever you want. Now would be a good time to go to secondary then check it when it's been there for 10 - 14 days.

Fire_travels said:
The F.G. should be taken after secondary before bottling sugar!
hope this helps

This is a good point to remember. It is a real pita to go back and determine how the priming sugar effects the gravity (voice of experience lol).

At any rate, good sound advice has been given above. The only thing I would add is that in general what I do is just wait. I don't bother taking any gravity measurements after the first one until I am ready to bottle, unless I am concerned or suspect of troubles.

Thanks all for the advice. I think newbies, like myself, can do well by remembering that, although there is a lot of science behind the process of brewing, the well-being of mankind does not hinge on whether or not the SG measurements or temperatures are spot on.

That being said, I measured SG last night and got a 1.018, where FG is supposed to be 1.012. I guess I'll rack to secondary today and wait 2 weeks. I sampled my sample after taking the reading, and the ale is FANTASTIC. Can't wait to taste once it's bottled.

Thanks all for the advice. This is a great place to learn.

Back