Too early for secondary???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeBrnDmgd

Reaction score
Brewed an IPA on Saturday and Beersmith calls for the 4th day to transfer into secondary and dry hop. The krausen hadn't fallen completely yet and I did anyway because I. Going out of town for a few days. I used a yeast starter and fermentation was rocking the past couple of days. Let me know your thoughts. Mike

If the Krausen hadn't fallen yet I would have not transferred to a secondary. Primary fermentation isn't finished at that point. Seams like kind of an odd instruction to transfer after only 4 days.

Do you think I should throw some more yeast in and let it sit? The funny thing is I knew not to do it but followed the software blindly.

Do you think I should throw some more yeast in and let it sit? The funny thing is I knew not to do it but followed the software blindly.

No, I'd just let it be. Next time, just change the profile in Beersmith to be what you want it to be. I wouldn't transfer an IPA to secondary at all, but if you want to you could do it after about 7-10 days.

Yooper said:
No, I'd just let it be. Next time, just change the profile in Beersmith to be what you want it to be. I wouldn't transfer an IPA to secondary at all, but if you want to you could do it after about 7-10 days.

Would it heart to throw in a tube of 001? My concern was that it was big grain bill

AFAIK Beersmith does not "suggest" when to transfer unless it is set that way in the profiles. Find that profile and change it.

I am another that no longer uses a secondary unless I am adding something that I do not want to have in my primary. This has not happened since I started skipping the secondary:)

kh54s10 said:
AFAIK Beersmith does not "suggest" when to transfer unless it is set that way in the profiles. Find that profile and change it.

I am another that no longer uses a secondary unless I am adding something that I do not want to have in my primary. This has not happened since I started skipping the secondary:)

Thanks. I just changed it. What wouldn't you want in primary? My one LHBS says to always use a secondary. The other says you don't have to. Going forward I won't use them. Since it was an Imperial IPA I pitched more yeast anyway. I rather make sure it's fermented. Mike

OP, seems like you really just WANT to do something. Don't do anything. Wait, I know it hurts, but waaaaiiittt. Two more weeks, throw in your dry hops, wait a week, then rack and bottle. "The Waiting" by Tom Petty, should be the official theme song of brewing, because it really is the hardest part. :tank:

Too late this time I threw in some yeast. Hopefully it'll be fine. Next time no secondary and learn to be patient. LOL

Back