Too cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman551

Reaction score
Brewed my first brew today! Otto brothers moose juice stout. The kit called for a fermentation temp of 65-68 degrees using saf ale S-04 yeast. My swamp cooler water temp is 55! Is this too cold? It's only been in the fermenter for about 3 hours. Guy at the LHBS says fermentation generates some heat, so I'm hoping I will be alright, especially as the frozen two liters melt throughout the night.

I'd take the 2 liters out until it gets started. Do you have a strip on the fermentor to tell beer temp? Once it's going strong put the frozen 2 liters back in as needed to maintain proper beer temp. You'll need less and less ice as fermentation winds down
Hope this helps...

It does help, thanks. I don't have a fermometer, so I'm just guessing based on the water bath temp.

Get one ASAP. Absolutely essential equipment. You're shooting in the dark otherwise...

Fermometers are pretty cheap and they give you a decent idea of the temperature inside the fermenter but if you get them wet they are ruined and I always got mine wet. Then I found out about a non-contact infrared thermometer and while they are not as cheap, you only need one for however many fermenters you have and you can read the temperature from several feet away. As my vision gets worse, I find the nice big digital numbers easier to read too. Just stand back and use the laser pointer to show where you are taking the temperature, making sure it is above the water of the water bath and below the level of the beer and within seconds you have your temperature. They are also fun to use to determine other temperatures around the house and yard and can be used to indicate temperatures where you wouldn't want to put your hands, like next to a spinning pulley to indicate the bearing temperature. I got mine off Ebay for about $15 and it even came with battery included.

Weird, I've never had a problem getting fermometers wet. I've had them on buckets, better bottles and glass carboys and got them wet every time I brewed...

Better to begin too cold than too warm. Too warm can give you bad flavors.

Cold you can easily fix by simply letting it warm up on its own. I'd shoot for 63*F (beer temp) using that S-04 for the first 3-5 days and then let it warm to 68*F to finish.

Back