Tons of late addition hops on a lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djbradle

Reaction score
I'm brewing up a German/Czech/Bohemian hybrid Pilsner and was going to load up on the late addition hops.

I was wondering if this might be a big mistake or not. We're talking about 10 oz of ultra 4.5% and 8 oz. of Hallertau 3.75% all at the 5-0 minute mark. I have the same hops going in for bittering in the beginning of the boil to get around 28 ibu's when all is said and done. I like the flavor of these two hops and while ultra is not a continental it holds a similar profile to Mt. Hood, Liberty, and Crystal. I've not had too many hop strong aromatic lagers save for some of Jack's Abbey offerings so I don't know what I'm getting myself into.

I was wondering if this might be a big mistake or not.

All depends on what you want. If you want a Pilsner-like lager than I would view it as a predictable mistake.

If you want something experimental and off-balanced in favor of hops that does not have the subtle flavors of a Pilsner then go for it.

Only way to find out for sure if you like it is to brew it.

Hoppy lagers do exist.

I'm not a huge fan of them, but go for it if you are curious.

ETA: I would definitely not like those hops in such large qtys.

All depends on what you want. If you want a Pilsner-like lager than I would view it as a predictable mistake.

If you want something experimental and off-balanced in favor of hops that does not have the subtle flavors of a Pilsner than go for it.

Only way to find out for sure if you like it is to brew it.

Yup, pretty much this. Lots of late addition/dry hops will certainly give you a huge punch. Certainly won't be subtle!

The Sept/Oct Zymurgy had an article on exactly this and they provided a recipe that is pretty similar to what you're suggesting, but it was a TOTAL of 8 oz of 3ish%AA hops late, whirlpool and dry hop. (An ounce of Magnum is the bittering charge at 60)

Over the summer I had a very hoppy lager at Milwaukee's German Fest, and it was excellent. The Zymurgy recipe is my next brew on deck.

Looks like you've got 1 lb 2 oz? A bit much for my taste but go for it.

Sierra Nevada had an awesome hoppy lager this year. It was their beer camp spring seasonal.

Nonetheless it does seem rather much in terms of late addition. Maybe I'll take off 20-30%....thanks for the sanity comments guys!

Im all for large late additions in any hoppy beer, but IME, its worthless to try and make something hoppy with noble hops. The amounts you need to get a pungent hop character are staggering. Plus, in the end, the hop flavor isnt even very pleasant. Take it from experience.

If you want something like an IPL, use typical IPA hops

Thanks for the input. I have a large amount and it seems they are not to be lightly esteemed. I'll stick to the subtle as I do not have the experience with noble hopping extremes.

At least based on the hoppy lager I had, it wasn't anything remotely similar to an IPA-level hoppiness. It just had a distinct but not overpowering amount of that herbal tea/floral aroma you get from noble hops

Maybe a mini mash will do for a test to be sure and then level up based on that. Would hate to have 7.5 gallons of earth beer.

I vote use less just to test it, add more next round if you are unsatisfied. I don't think you'll need a pound for this personally.

I've done several lagers that I loaded up with late addition american hops and dry hop. They were great, IPL style.

I tried one beer where I used a large amount of noble hops the same way. It was so-so. In the future I will either repeat the IPL, or use fewer noble hops in the more traditional style.

Back