Tons of ice buildup on freezer compartment in minifridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewnewb1

Reaction score
I recently got a GE wmr04bapbb minifridge on craigslist. I had mainly planned to use it for fermenting so I got a temperature controller for it. All was well until I kegged and started getting tons of condensation on the bottom of the fridge and sometimes leaking out of the door. Someone on here told me that it was likely due to the temperature controller turning the fridge on and off. So I decided to ditch the controller and use the fridge as normal.

Ever since, I've been getting a ton of ice buildup on the freezer compartment. It got to the point where it was almost touching the top of my keg. Is there any way to stop this?

I will say that the guy who had the fridge before me bent the freezer compartment and there is a short white wire coming off of the thermostat that I believe is the sensor for the thermostat. In some of the pictures I've seen that was always connected to the ice tray, but in my fridge it's just hanging there. Could that have something to do with it? My thought is that since it's not directly on the ice tray anymore, the fridge has to get a lot colder for the sensor to register the correct temperature. Maybe I should tape it back to the ice tray?

Thanks in advance!

What is the real temperature at the coldest point in the fridge? I have a chest freezer that I turned into a keezer. I turn the freezer controller all the way down and place the temp controller sensor in the coldest point. For me that happens to be down a corner, at the bottom. The sensor is taped to a piece of reflective radiant insulation and slides down to the bottom of the freezer in a corner. Then I set the setpoint at 36F. Since it cycles +- 3degreesF, at its lowest point it will be juuuuust above freezing, so icing is never an issue. A minifrige I believe has the cooling coils in the freezer. You need to get that setpoint juuuust above freezing at ALL points in the unit. Most full size residential friges today are frost free, which means periodically the freezer shuts off and allows the temp to rise above freezing, keeping the frost buildup to a minimum. Not sure if a minifrige would have that feature.

Back