Today was miraculous

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIP

Reaction score
I finished blending up our 08' Cornelious Reserve today. It is a 100% Tempranillo that consists of 4 different yeast strains. We took the 3 best barrels (all one yeast) and blended them with bits and pieces of other strains. One of the strains used was only .33% of the blend, but it made all of the difference. This stuff is amazing. The darkest tempranillo our winemaker has ever tasted, and he has been in wine professionally for over 40 years. It is full of black cherry, black berry and smooth tannins. It is sitting in a tank right now, and will be bottled within two weeks time, and cellared for at least a month.

The total yield for our Tempranillo for 08' was 11 bbls rather than 40-50 bbls. The vineyard had horrible hail storms in the spring of 08' so the yield was horrible, but the quality was amazing. We attribute this to all of the vines putting their energy into a very small amount of fruit. I will be working on the rest of the tempranillo this week. Then I will move onto our Magellan. The Magellan is a Bordeaux style red that consists of 67% Cab-sov and the rest is Merlot, Malbec, cab-franc, petit verdot and tempranillo. That all is a total of 7 BBLs.

Pretty exciting time at the winery. I will keep you updated. Anyone in the Dallas area, come into my tasting room and I will taste you through our estate line.

I love hearing about this kind of thing. I grew up on a farm and went to school for Engineering. But I've been gravitating back to my farming routes over the last few years. Part of the reason Beer and Wine appeal to me is that they are a product of Agriculture! Amazing how what Mother Nature does for us, and what we do with it make amazing things happen.

Back