today I was called a bad influence

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a Christian, and a homebrewer, and I openly talk about and share my beer with both believers and unbelievers. Not all Christians are the uptight morons some of you are making it sound like. We can say this woman is awful, but she has her beliefs, and so do you, and she wants you to respect her beliefs as much as you want her to respect your beliefs. I think OHIOSTEVE did everything right, and unfortunately this woman didn't communicate her beliefs in a respectful manner, but that doesn't make her an awful person. We're all human, we all make mistakes.

It was her home. Perhaps she couldn't anticipate the children s presence when you originally got permission.

It was her home. Perhaps she couldn't anticipate the children s presence when you originally got permission.

If that were the case, she could have picked a different way to phrase it instead of "You are a bad influence." She could have said something like "I'm sorry. I didn't know there would be children around. Could you please drink that in a different room or outside?"

I agree with what others have said that, since it's her house, she can decide what the rules are, but it's completely ridiculous to say that someone could bring beer and then do a 180 and accuse that person of being a "bad influence" just for doing what she said they could do in the first place. :cross:

Threads like this make me proud to be a United Methodist minister.

Seriously the issue I have is telling you it's okay then shaming you once you bring it. Also fully agree with the prior observation of the impact the prohibition/temperance movement had in expanding the loosely speaking historically unamerican idea of government control over individual actions.

Yes mama ho, I'm a bad influence, always have been. You see, I'm from the Wrong Side of the Tracks. I was born there, raised there, and decided to live there. In fact, I now own the Wrong Side of the Tracks. You don't.

Over here at Wrong Side we give respect where respect is due, it also has to be earned. Have you helped anyone today? No? I'll bet you have plenty of scars from old injury's saving souls though. No? I see. You did comfort a child who just lost her parents to a terrorist's bomb right? No? Ever volunteer to take care of abused children? No? Maybe you helped the dog thrown from a car window on I 89. No?

Who the hell are you?

Right, that was a pretty rude way for a host to phrase it to an invited guest. There could have been a more polite way to voice her sudden displeasure. I say her manners are a bad influence on the children that were present.

Consider the source and then wear your bada** badge with honor.

....Also fully agree with the prior observation of the impact the prohibition/temperance movement had in expanding the loosely speaking historically unamerican idea of government control over individual actions.

Wow Rev, there's a lot going on in that sentence!

Yes mama ho, I'm a bad influence, always have been. You see, I'm from the Wrong Side of the Tracks. I was born there, raised there, and decided to live there. In fact, I now own the Wrong Side of the Tracks. You don't.

Over here at Wrong Side we give respect where respect is due, it also has to be earned. Have you helped anyone today? No? I'll bet you have plenty of scars from old injury's saving souls though. No? I see. You did comfort a child who just lost her parents to a terrorist's bomb right? No? Ever volunteer to take care of abused children? No? Maybe you helped the dog thrown from a car window on I 89. No?

Who the hell are you?

Did you get lost on your way to the crack head forum?

Originally Posted by Paps
"IMHO most Christians in America are completely clueless."
Originally Posted by Brewsky
"Not ALL Christians have the silly belief that all alcohol is evil and forbidden. Are ALL dumb hicks from Arkansas unable to spell or is that just you?"
..........................................................................................................
As dumb as we are here in Arkansas we can tell the difference between "most" and "all" Maybe if you moved here somebody will teach you how to do that someday.

Am I the only one wondering what happened next? When you "took it outside" were you drinking on the front porch or what? When I was a kid sometimes the men would go over to my uncle's truck for a nip but they weren't fooling anyone. It was just a way for some folks to pretend that no drinking was going on.

Originally Posted by Paps
"IMHO most Christians in America are completely clueless."
Originally Posted by Brewsky
"Not ALL Christians have the silly belief that all alcohol is evil and forbidden. Are ALL dumb hicks from Arkansas unable to spell or is that just you?"
..........................................................................................................
As dumb as we are here in Arkansas we can tell the difference between "most" and "all" Maybe if you moved here somebody will teach you how to do that someday.

Well, I've been through there. Little Rock's a fine town.

Seriously though, was the comment about "most" Christians being clueless really necessary? I was just pointing out (not in the best way I'll admit) that not all, not even most Christians live by these irrational restrictions that somebody dreamed up. I apologize for the "dumb hicks" comment, that was uncalled for.

We're Catholic, you know, the Christians that have the blood and body of Christ during mass... Don't sum us all up with the extremist.

The biblical come back to the preacher's wife would've been a reference to how Sodom was destroyed less because of sin and more because of how its citizens treated their guests.

I don't think it was that big of a deal and you handled it properly. I have never had anyone say anything to me about my beer brewing, but would let them know that my 11yr old and 8 yr old daughters help me brew on most days. Then I would have my daughters tell them the whole process from mash to keg.

Yeah... Well my Kids are both grown... One Military and one a professional photographer and web page guru.... They both love beer so yeah...... I am a Bad Influence too..... OP let's design a T-Shirt and see how many we can sell to the congregation!!!!:tank:

Hope you had a couple pints and put on something like Motörhead or Dr. Dre when you got home.

(And I love how the iPhone automatically put the umlauts in Motörhead.)

I had a priest praise my home brew during his homily at my buddy's wedding. Catholics may have Catholic guilt but we can drown it with as much tasty alcohol as we want. The only criticism that would have been leveled at my house was that you only brought one bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I don't get it why the OP is whining. You got her permission and she asked you to take it outside so it was not in front of the kids....I see no problem

The Utah joke is:

You can't invite one Mormon fishing, you have to invite two.

If you invite just one, they drink all your beer. If you invite two, they both make sure the other one doesn't drink any of your beer.

I've lived this joke - and it's the truth! LOL

I don't get it why the OP is whining. You got her permission and she asked you to take it outside so it was not in front of the kids....I see no problem

not whining...house was full of kids when I asked if I could have it there. I just despise her attitude that she is better then everyone else..seems that after we left she pulled an attitude with another family member now the whole family is arguing..... And whomever sked what happened next.. I stuck the bottle back in the fridge and the brother in law it was intended for took it home with him and I later got a glowing report on how good it was. And for the record, there is a vast huge gargantuan difference between christians and religious people....

not whining...house was full of kids when I asked if I could have it there. I just despise her attitude that she is better then everyone else..seems that after we left she pulled an attitude with another family member now the whole family is arguing..... And whomever sked what happened next.. I stuck the bottle back in the fridge and the brother in law it was intended for took it home with him and I later got a glowing report on how good it was. And for the record, there is a vast huge gargantuan difference between christians and religious people....

that sounds a lot like my aunt (moms sister). and I'm willing to bet this woman doesn't know or understand what everyone's riled up. some people just need to make a big deal about nothing to fulfill a need to prove to others their own convictions. that usually stems from a feeling of social inadequacy.

A few years ago, I visited my parents and grandparents for Thanksgiving. I took a 12 of Celebration and a couple growlers/bottles of my stuff. Thanksgiving day, I start working on the Celebration. Grandma starts counting. When I get to the 3rd bottle, she's letting me know I'm on the 3rd bottle. After that, I started letting her know I was going back for 4, 5, 6 and so on. She just huffed and said I shouldn't drink so much.

It made me laugh.

My parents and grandparents are very light drinkers and I was always the black sheep.

Back