To the secondary in a week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc03

Reaction score
Sorry for the newbie question. I've had a red ale fermenting for one week. After it started there was a big head of foam and the airlock bubbled continuously for about 48 hours. Since then it's slowed and the foam has receded. I noticed a bubble in about a minute of watching. Should I put this in the secondary fermenter already? The directions on the Northern Brewer kit say it should take a bit longer. Any advice is appreciated.

It's most likely good to transfer, but the only way to be sure is to take a gravity reading. Do you have a hydrometer? If the gravity is stable for 2-3 days in a row fermentation has essentially stopped. If you can't take a gravity it won't hurt to leave it for a few more days to make sure.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

You can just leave it in primary for another week or two and not bother with secondary at all unless you need your primary vessel for another batch. If you really want to transfer to a secondary vessel you can do that now or wait a couple more days. Personally I don't transfer to secondary without a reason.

Never transfer to secondart before reaching a stable FG. You don't want it to stall from lack of yeast. I don't use a secondary unless I'm oaking or something. but you can if you like. It's really a matter of preference. Just sanitize everything touching the beer first before racking.

You really don't need to transfer this beer to secondary at all. Just leave it in the primary until it is done and starting to clear. Use your hydrometer to determine if it is done for sure before you bottle. Here's some info about how ale yeasts work and why you shouldn't transfer it too soon should you decide that you must. http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

I knew you would get a lot of people saying you don't need a secondary. While that may be true, that's not your question.

Yes, you can absolutely transfer to secondary by now. Typically the frst 48-72 hours is the bulk of fermentation. You will get a lot of trub and dead yeast on the bottom. During that time, you'll see the airlock bubble every couple of seconds. After a few days, that will almost stop. Then you're okay to go to secondary if you want.

Like many are saying, you don't NEED a secondary. I prefer it just to get the beer off of the junk in there. I think it results in a clearer beer. Matter of preference. If your purpose is to get it off of the junk, then yes, your junk should be settled by now. (techincal terms, I know).

+1 for making sure it is at a stable FG before transferring, or just leave it in primary.

I like my Fg to be stable as we'll. I get freaked out about bothering the yeast while it's still working. Hydrometer is a must

Using a secondary isnt necessary unless you are adding dry hops or fruit. Like others have said if you are going to transfer make sure your gravity is stable.

I read a couple of things in this post that I don't agree with.

One was that you might not have enough yeast to finish the beer if you transfer to secondary too early. This might be true for a very high alcohol content brew, but unlikely with an average one.

Second is that you will get a clearer beer by doing a secondary. I have found no better results when I do a secondary. I usually primary for 3 weeks, my beers are clear. If I bottle or keg early they will clear with time.

I am in the camp that says, no need for a secondary. But, if you do make sure you have final gravity BEFORE you transfer.

Thanks for all the info everyone. It seems like there are definitely several ways to go about it. I need to get a hydrometer for sure.

I read a couple of things in this post that I don't agree with.

One was that you might not have enough yeast to finish the beer if you transfer to secondary too early. This might be true for a very high alcohol content brew, but unlikely with an average one.

Second is that you will get a clearer beer by doing a secondary. I have found no better results when I do a secondary. I usually primary for 3 weeks, my beers are clear. If I bottle or keg early they will clear with time.

I am in the camp that says, no need for a secondary. But, if you do make sure you have final gravity BEFORE you transfer.

This ^^^^^^^^.

If you want more clear beer (and less yeast trub in the bottles), after it finished fermenting cold crash the primary 5-7 days at 35*F. If you want it to be really clear, use gelatin when cold crashing.

Except for adding fruit or long-term aging, moving a 5-10 gallon batch of beer "off the cake" is pointless and simply increases the risk of oxidation. It's a shame that many kit makers haven't seen fit to update their written instructions on this issue.

If you move to secondary and then don't get to your FG you will know why! is it worth the risk of removing your beer from the yeast it may need to finish, just leave it be for several weeks.

Back