To RIMS, or not to RIMS? That is my question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arg1129

Reaction score
I am on the fence about building a RIMS tube and wondering what the noticeable benefits are? I brew all grain and have always had problems with efficiency. I use a 10 gal cooler with false bottom.and spathe from a 5 gal cooler with copper spathe arm. I was thinking of a pump and RIMS tube that I could attach to the cooler to keep temps Evan throughout mash. I want to builds 120 v tube and control panel that I can later upgrade to a full e-brew system similar to Kal's, but with a RIMS, so as to not waste money but slowly build up my system. My true question is what being its can I gain from a RIMS and is it worth the close to $1k price tag that is associated with doing it right. Or? Is there a better way of beginning my upgrade to e-brewing? Also I brew in my kitchen now and do full boils on my stove, a 25,000 btu burner. I brew all grain 5gal batches.

I used to mash in a round GOTT cooler the same way you do then I built a RIMS tube to work with my GOTT cooler. The nice thing about using a RIMS tube is I don't have to buy a third stainless steel pot. I followed these instructions only I did not mount the RIMS tube on a base. http://goo.gl/9eMCyY

I start with 170F strike water mixed with my grain then I use the RIMS tube to bring my mash temperature up to 144F. The temperature stays right at 144F all the way through the mash. I do single step infusion mashes but I have played with stepping to different temperatures and response time seems quick.

The first batch I used the RIMS tube for worked great but the second batch was a disaster. I turned the pump on & dumped rust into my mash. The face of the water heater element screw-in plug rusted because I left a little water in the base of the tube. I had to replace my plastic tubing and the element before I could brew again. Now I unscrew the main pipe from the bottom tee and clean out all of the water after each brew and rust has not been a problem. I re-assemble with Teflon tape before each brew. After quite a few brews the face of the element screw-in plug looks black and a friend told me it won't rust anymore. I don't take a chance & I still clean the water out after every brew session.

Back