To rack or not to rack....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pearlbeer

Reaction score
I know this is the source of much debate. But while having a few homebrews last night, I read through the epic "Brewing Classic Styles" by John and Jamil.

In the book, they suggest fermenting for 2-4 weeks and then moving straight to the keg. While I have always racked to a secondary to condition - it makes sense, why risk contamination and additional o2 introduction.

I wanted to get opinions from the crowd. Additionally, conditioning in the keg would seem like you would get a decent trub at the bottom of the keg after a few weeks of conditioning. Assuming that does not get pulled into the beer during serving? One final question - to those that skip the secondary but cold crash before kegging - you are cold crashing in the primary?

I think I'm pretty typical; 3-4 weeks in primary then straight to the keg. 2-3 weeks in the keg at fridge temps clears it up, then pull and discard the first pint to eliminate the trub that settled near the pick-up.

You might get another hazy pint or two after that, then it should be clear sailing.

either way works. I use secondary sometimes, especially when I make a huge beer that will age for a year or so. I only do this because I don't have a million kegs around and dont want to tie one up that long.

+1 to the other responses already. I usually primary for about a month and then go straight to keg and let it condition at basement temps (65 or so) for another couple weeks and then finally to the keezer. Just a pint or two at first disposes of all the leftover sediment.

If I'm doing a big beer that's going to need more than 3 months to condition I'll then usually condition in a better bottle so I can free up a keg in the rotation.

Does this change at all if you're bottling in your opinions? Usually have plenty of space for secondaries, but am at capacity and have some stout I'm contemplating leaving in the primary for 4 weeks and then going right into bottle conditioning. Thoughts?

Does this change at all if you're bottling in your opinions? Usually have plenty of space for secondaries, but am at capacity and have some stout I'm contemplating leaving in the primary for 4 weeks and then going right into bottle conditioning. Thoughts?

I've done that with no problems.

I tried "no secondary" for a while and now I'm back to secondary. I've been using my beer gun (the hose only, not the gun itself) to blast CO2 into the bottom of the carboys before racking, so I'm not too worried about oxidation. I fill the kegs with C02 as well before racking. I've been changing too many things, so hard to say if I end up sticking with this method or not. Got to keep tweaking.

The purpose of a secondary is for clearing.

As other posters have said they skip a secondary and still have to toss out the first pint or two. This method really only works for brewers who do not have to move their kegs.

I secondary to get my brew as clear as possible before racking to the keg because I have to move my kegs to the basement and put it in the kegerator.

If the beer wasn't clear initially all that yeast on the bottom will make the brew cloudy again for another week.

Not right or wrong...just something you should think about.

Back