To prime, or not to prime?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardFootman

Reaction score
So this may be a dumb, and asked before question, but I am new to all this so please bear with me.

I am making an apple cider from freshly squeezed apples, it has been in my primary for 12 days, I back sweetened with some fresh apple juice, and left if for 2more days, it's at a point now where I'm happy, and it taste real good. I have chosen to cold crash it to get a clearer cider and to "stop" fermentation, so it's currently in the fridge doing that. But here is my question: as I have not let the fermentation process end naturally, do I still need to add priming sugar to carbonate? Or will the process start up naturally again from the remaining yeast/sugar that didn't drop out during child crashing? Any other tips, tricks or advice will be appreciated.

I don't make cider, but since you haven't gotten any responses I'll give it a try.

I back sweetened with some fresh apple juice, and left if for 2more days, it's at a point now where I'm happy, and it taste real good. I have chosen to cold crash it to get a clearer cider and to "stop" fermentation, so it's currently in the fridge doing that.
Back sweetening with time left in the fermenter won't really sweeten - that sugar will ferment out.

Cold crashing won't totally stop fermentation - just slow it way down. This could cause the bottles to explode when all the sugar ferments.

as I have not let the fermentation process end naturally, do I still need to add priming sugar to carbonate? Or will the process start up naturally again from the remaining yeast/sugar that didn't drop out during child crashing?
The juice that you added to back-sweeten has partly fermented, but you don't know how much is left. It would be dangerous to bottle even without adding priming sugar. I think I would let it warm back up and ferment out naturally. And I would check gravity when you think it's finished. Check twice, three days apart, to be sure it's stable. And I would consider this a little questionable as far as the fermentation, so I believe I would just skip the carbonation just in case fermentation re-starts in the bottles. "Still" cider is good, too.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice, I have already stopped the cold crashing and I am letting the fermentation end, I will do a plastic test bottle for a few days to try and get an idea on carbonation level. Appreciate the response

You can bottle now if the flavour's where you want it, and pasteurise the bottles when the carbonation is good. There's a thread (I think it's a sticky) on easy stove-top pasteurising of bottled cider. Put a couple in plastic to gauge when carbonation is where you want it. Otherwise, the only other ways to get sweetened, carbonated cider in bottles is to use artificial or non-fermentable sugars, or force-carbonate then bottle from keg (after chemical or physical halting of fermentation).

Back