To Keg or not to Keg (Fermentation)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadiator

Reaction score
Does anyone here use a Corny Keg as their primary fermenting vessel?

Is there a conversion process that you need to go through?

Is there already a thread on this exact subject?

Does it make bottling easier, or even obsolete?

How long can beer be preserved in a keg?

I don't see why you couldn't do it. Just have to get something in to replace the release valve and get an air lock in there of some kind. I remember reading, when I started brewing, that there are people who primary and serve in the same keg. They just cut the dip tube a couple of inches shorter, to allow the trub to settle below it.

Personally, I have never done it though. My kegs get moved around a lot, so I don't want to chance stirring up all that trub into the beer

I don't see why you couldn't do it. Just have to get something in to replace the release valve and get an air lock in there of some kind. I remember reading, when I started brewing, that there are people who primary and serve in the same keg. They just cut the dip tube a couple of inches shorter, to allow the trub to settle below it.

Personally, I have never done it though. My kegs get moved around a lot, so I don't want to chance stirring up all that trub into the beer

Yeah, i tried this, and it didn't turn out well. That is serving out of the primary.

However I did have a keg that one of the post failed on me and my primary was busy so i just got some tubing and made a blow off where the post was. Turned out well because I was able to purge the 02 off when switching to secondary.

Check out these few threads about the fermentation.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/primary-fermentation-corny-keg-127876/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/corny-keg-fermentation-danger-420711/

The typical setup in a commercial/large batch breweries use blow off tubes in 5 gallon buckets of sanitizer.

Here is a shot of one
Franconia%20Fermenters.jpg

Long story short..if you ferment in a sealed container, there will be FAR too much pressure on your fermenter, and it will explode. If you are intent on fermenting in a corny keg, just pick up one of these.

http://www.homebrewing.org/Cornelius-Keg-Lid-for-Secondary-Fermenter_p_999.html

I asked the same question :p

Hope those responses help you like they helped me.

Does anyone here use a Corny Keg as their primary fermenting vessel?

Is there a conversion process that you need to go through?

Is there already a thread on this exact subject?

Does it make bottling easier, or even obsolete?

How long can beer be preserved in a keg?

1) Yep, I converted to all cornies

2) Depends. You can connect a blowoff tube to the gas in for blowoff. Some cut the dip tube, I don't. You can build a spunding valve for pressurized fermentation if you want, but that's not required. You will need a liquid post to liquid post connector to do keg to keg transfers (assuming you want to serve in a keg.

3) See the pressureized fermentation thread

4) I don't bottle much anymore since going the keg route. When I need to I use a beergun. Easy, fast, and no risk of oxidizing.

5) No different than a bottle. Depends on beer style, hop flavor dissapears quick. Some people age beers for years.

Back