To Hop or Not to Hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scout001

Reaction score
I needed quick entry for an upcoming June competition; it has to be American. I used the Lake Walk Pale Ale recipe as my base and subbed out a couple of grains comperable to what is available at my LHBS. I wanted to keep the same Hop-Up with the Amarillo and Simcoe. LHBS was out of Amarillo, so I am subbing with Chinook. The Alphas are 3 points higher on the Chinook. I am trying to figure out if I should keep the same weight of hops at a shorter schedule time (40 or 50 mins opposed to 60), or cut my weight in hops and go .50 oz at 60 mins. (Recipe is .75). IME cutting hops has never worked for my bittering, so....what do you all think? What would you do?

Reduce the weight to come closest to original recipe. Btw, I find chinook to be a pretty harsh bittering hop...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

(Divide the alpha in the recipe by the alpha you're using, then multiply the quantity by the result.)

Reduce the weight to come closest to original recipe. Btw, I find chinook to be a pretty harsh bittering hop...

What would you have substituted with? Already had some guy call me a moron for using Chinook on the OP thread

Don't worry about people calling you names. It's your beer.

Let us know what you did, and how it turned out.

Magnum is a nice buttering hop.

But I agree, it's your beer and it may turn out amazing with the hops you have already chosen.

I will let you know. It enters the first of June, Ill throw my score and revive this thread...hmmm Magnum

I do like Chinook a lot as a flavor and aroma hop -- tons of pine and grapefruit. Nothing wrong with using it! You might love it for bittering.

I really need to start smashing some of these hops. I have only been at this for a few months but am getting to the point where I want to start capitalizing on the different hops characteristics. I went ahead and bittered with the chinook since I already bought them. I will let you all know how it came out. Again, thanks for the suggestions...I am still trying to find a session ale and you have given me some ideas for future attempts....Cheers

Back