To Glass Jug or not to Glass Jug?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erlkoenig686

Reaction score
I recently simultaneously brewed a batch of beer and EdWort's Apfelwein. I want to carry around my finished products in as large of containers as possible. What is the best way to bottle a large a mount of beer/wine without resorting to a keg? If I sanitize the inside of a plastic gallon container with a twist on plastic cap, will that work? I've read that gallon glass jugs can be used as well, but if they are what is the best way to cap one of them? Any other ideas/suggestions? Thanks a bunch!:)

Do not use a gallon glass jug, they are not designed to hold pressure and are very likely to explode. Just bottle the cider in 750ml and the beer in 1/2 or 1 liter swing tops. As far as the plastic, I can't say for certain, but I'm sure they wouldn't hold pressure too well for carbonating

I'm not sure the gallon jugs are all that subject to exploding but, just the same, I don't think I'd go that route. Most microbreweries sell growlers that are designed to hold the pressure of carbonated beverages. You can also buy growlers on line from most of the major on-line retailers. These typically hold ~32 oz. of your chosen beverage.

2 liter pop bottles work. I have several sizes of plastic. Typically I bottle 3-5 16 oz soda bottles so I can check carbonation. I've only used 2 liter bottles once. I was working in my basement and it took a few hours to drink the one beer ;-)
Brew on.

I agree with nettekdl go with the 750ml swing-tops. Beyond being designed to hold an adequate amount of pressure, they are nostalgic, reusable, and make great gifts which the bottle may be returned when the recipient has finished the gift inside.

There are some nice 64oz SS wide-mouth growlers on the market, but they are quite expensive and I am not certain if they are pressure rated. They tend to be expensive, but they might be a nice long term solution if you plan to refill/reuse often.

Good Luck and Cheers! Apfelwein is awesome!

Do you think clear glass bottles will work or should I go for glass bottles with color to prevent the sun from changing the wine?

Do you think clear glass bottles will work or should I go for glass bottles with color to prevent the sun from changing the wine?
No hops? Lightstrike may not be as great of an issue regarding apfelwein. I purchased a case of 12 cobalt blue bottles for my apfelwein, but Ii tend to keep them in a box for bottle carbonation or keg, and refer after.

Back