To decant or not decant...that is the question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abrayton

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of opinions about decanting starters. Some do and some don't. Sometimes it depends on size, style of beer, stir plate, etc... My question:

Is there any exbeeriments/experience out there that proves pitching an entire (let's say 2L) aerated starter into 5 gallons has a negative effect on the final product?

I'm not suggesting anything one way or another, just looking for facts based on experience/data.

Well there's no doubt that the starter wort is crap if it's been on a stir plate, but the effects of an average starter in a 5 gallon batch are small to none. I usually pitch my starter wort but, importantly, I don't agitate at all after the initial shaking.

I'll get some flack for this, but stir plates are unnecessary for a standard ale batch. A 1.5-2L starter made a day or so ahead and pitched at high krausen should take off like a rocket. As a bonus you get 4-5 extra beers from that clean, non-oxidized starter wort.

No experiments, but you have brewed a mini beer in far less than ideal conditions. I have also never risked tasting a starter "beer" I don't think it would be good. So whenever I have time I decant..... Especially with larger starters which would fill my Better Bottles too high anyway.

I like to pitch an active, 1L starter that's spun for about 18-24 hours into my 2.5 gallon batches. I've never noticed off flavors. They usually take off fast.

The only reason I think folks might decant is to reduce the amount of "beer" into the certain style of wort. I personally decant. I just don't want my "Extra light DME" beer in my amber ale or lager. It's more about getting the most out of the yeast cake.

The only reason NOT to decant is timing (which implies poor planning). You want the yeast in your beer, not the starter wort. In my opinion it's that simple. I always decant, except when I've poorly planned... then I dump it all in, cringing all the way.

The only reason NOT to decant is timing (which implies poor planning). You want the yeast in your beer, not the starter wort. In my opinion it's that simple. I always decant, except when I've poorly planned... then I dump it all in, cringing all the way.

Who are you calling a poor planner? IMO this is one of those topics that's not a big deal. Sometimes, I decant, sometimes I don't. Either way, I've never felt it's had a negative effect.

Who are you calling a poor planner? IMO this is one of those topics that's not a big deal. Sometimes, I decant, sometimes I don't. Either way, I've never felt it's had a negative effect.

Have you made a very large starter for a big beer? I only have a 2 liter flask so I have to make stepped starters for big ones. This forces me to decant. As I said, using Better Bottles I cannot pitch a big starter without filling the headspace, thus creating blow off.

Just because you have not felt it has had a negative effect does not mean that it hasn't. If you don't decant you increase the chance of making your better beer less better.

Decant and give your beer the best chance to be great.

I decant.

5 gallons of beer equats to just under 19 liters. Add the 2 liters of starter and I'm at 21. I've just thrown off my recipe by 9-10%. I'm walking in to that beer only be able to nail it to 90% not taking into account any of the other areas I could improve on. I'd rather aim for the moon and hit the lamp post than aim for the lamp post and hit myself. My personality would have a hard time trying to be perfect in all the aspects of brewing, and feel like I only gave 90% in this aspect. Of course, this is my opinion for my batches.

I always decant... I'm always using a stir plate, so I don't want any of that crap in my fermenters, especially when building a big 2 or 3 liter starter. Yuck.

If I'm doing a starter, I don't hop the starter wort and so it's not very good tasting "beer" that results from the starter- unhopped, oxidized crap.

But if it was a 2L starter in 5.5 gallons, the taste might not be noticeable. Still, I decant. Occasionally, I'll use a non-flocculant yeast which make decanting tough but I still try to do the best I can.

I don't decant. I siphon. I make a starter a few days in advance, take it off the stir plate a full 24 - 36 hours before I need it and stick it in the fridge. A few hours before I need it, I take it out of the fridge and siphon off all of the "beer" except for just enough to swirl it up good. That stuff tastes like crap. I don't want it in my beer.

Back