To brew or not to brew....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vex3521

Reaction score
Don't even ask me why I'm debating, but I am. Have a cyser clearing that's still running hot so it's going to be a while, solera project is doing it's thing and that orange mel (that I Hate but am letting it age to see if it improves or not) in 1 gallon batches right now. I have 3 empty carboys staring at me, plenty of honey and clementines out my ears so really it's a question of just starting up a batch lol or two.

Wanted to try to get higher abv out of my next batch and the spiced clementine mel I have bottled got one complaint that the clove note was too in your face (fyi 1 clove in 1 gallon batch) But it was left in for a while (need to check notes but over 30days easy) so I'd have to either shorten or omit that period.

So what would everyone do? Use the fruit and push abv.... do 2 batches for traditional sack and the clementine mel? Keep standing by and brew later?

Snowpocalypse and 11 hours of shoveling killed my back and any hopes of brewing this past weekend! We got 35 inches lol so it was nasty!

How about making a clementine wine - Which is to say that you squeeze those clementines and extract all the juice you can then measure the pH which may be a tad low (very bitter) in which case you may need to either dilute the juice with a little water (say 10% by volume) and then use the honey to raise the gravity a notch or two. If you aimed for a wine or mead at around 12% ...? What you might also consider is adding cocoa or chocolate (and /or chocolate essence before bottling - the chocolate "cuts" the bitterness and a chocolate orange wine/mead can be quite delicious... (note, however, in my experience cocoa can take many months to clear bright,. It will... but it clears at near geological speeds... (I prefer Drost to Hershey's but that is just me)

My spiced clementine is similar to a JAOM but has star anise in it as well as cardamom but the clove note seems to be a constant complaint not because it's sharp or too aggressive but because some people just hate clove lol so I have to run ones without the clove I think for those individuals. Though the orange melomel I'm running is supposed to fill that need, it just needs time to finish.

Hadn't thought about going cocoa and I am totally going to plan this one out! I get some great cocoa/coffee notes in my stout and I Love that flavor profile so why not go in the same citrus/cocoa dessert route since that's such a classic pair! Great call ty Bernardsmith! Even if it took 6 months to clear out I know the end result would totally be worth the wait. And it gives me something to play with other than just straight citrus!

I think it's actually nice, not overpowering at all but then that comes after years of seriously spiked clove covered ham my mom used to make! That stuff was wow. Been 20 years and I still fear that recipe lol.

Next spiced clementine I'm doing 2 batches, one clove but racked for less time and one without to keep everyone happy. Working on the other recipe now and hope to get it going this week or weekend.

Going in on the chocolate clementine but curious if it's going to need lactose in it. I know from stout that the mouthfeel is really off without but since it's not a stout and I haven't done wines other than mead I'm going back and forth. Will be going 1 gallon batch and using both juiced and cut clementines. I'm using clover honey also. 1 gallon batch only in case it's hellatious!

Clementines weren't good although they were fresh they weren't giving much juice at all and were dry vs juicy if you bit into one so they got 86'ed. Running that sack mead instead this week and next brew day I think I've got the kinks in the chocolate clementine recipe worked out.

Latest posts

Back