To bottle or to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pie_Man

Reaction score
Hey everyone, normally I don't secondary, but I've told that with this beer that maybe I should. My beer has been in the primary for two months (it took a few extra weeks b/c my fermentation stallled around 1.033). I'm wondering if I should secondary or bottle? If I'm planning to age the bottles for 6-12 months, is racking to a secondary necessary to "mellow out" the flavors, or will that occur in the bottle regardless? Thanks is advance.

Old Stock Ale Clone
OG: 1.109
FG: 1.013
Brewed on 10/8/11, beer is still in the primary.

Bottle it And let it age.

Some people might argue that bulk aging is better; but don't think you'd notice any difference...

+ 1 for bottle. With nearly 13% ABV I would expect it to carb up very slowly. I'd give it a minimum of 2-3 months maybe even longer.

beerloaf

I agree,that one's def gunna take a while. My whiskely ale took 9 weeks & 6 days with 2 weeks fridge time before it was ready. Decent carbonation & about 2 finger head.

Back