To boil or not to boil, that is the question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaneoco1981

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am making a pumpkin porter this weekend and have heard of people using the pumpkin in the mash and others say add it to boil at 15 min left in boil. Not sure which way to go. Any advice would be appreciated.

I put in 2 cans of pumpkin in the mash for an hour along with my steeping grains, per the N. Brewer Smashing Pumpkin ale extract kit instructions. I will be bottling the beer this weekend, so I can't comment on the FINISHED product, but gravity samples on brew day and racking day were both tasty and had good color and aroma. I had the pumpkin and grains in the big steeping bag at 151 degrees for an hour before pulling them out and then raising the wort to boiling and doing the rest of the boil. I also added 2 pounds of 6-row (I believe that's what it was) per their video suggestion on the N. Brewer website. Good luck!

Back