To add more yeast or not, that is the ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbaesl

Reaction score
Need a little advice. I brewed up a Moose Drool clone, the O.G. was 1.057. I transferred to secondary after 1 week. The S.G. at transfer was 1.024 (and yes, perhaps I should have checked BEFORE and left it in the primary to see if I could get it down lower). Anyway, it has been another 2 weeks in the secondary, the S.G. remains at 1.024. So a lovely attenuation of ~58%. It still tastes good though :) I did use WLP002 yeast, which is a very flocculant strain that attenuates at 63-70%. So the question becomes, a) let it sit in the seconary (which I don't think will do much), b) pitch some dry yeast to get the S.G. lower, or c) bottle it up so I can drink it sooner :)

Thanks for the help in advance,
Mark

I have ran into the same problem with Safale S-04 (OG 1.058 and now stalled at 1.030) and plan to repitch today with some Safale S-05. So my answer is repitch if you're not close to your planned FG.

If you hadn't transferred to secondary I would say just stir the yeast up and try to warm the fermenter up a little bit.

Neal

Back