Tired of hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since starting brewing I never really jumped on the hop train until I actually tried a really well made IPA then began brewing them.

I'll still make a couple batches per year but I'm back on the stout/Porter/doppelbock/Belgian thing again now.

Nah. I was thinking about this last night. Why the need to compare hops to fruit? I don't like fruit beers. I like hops but the whole comparison to fruit juice needs to end.

oh no, another hop cop, please stop........ I do tend to go over the top when I late hop ... but they are so easy to drop, I hear them go plop into the whirlpool..... Oh the hop, my favorite crop, heresy to swap for the likes of heather

Nah. I was thinking about this last night. Why the need to compare hops to fruit? I don't like fruit beers. I like hops but the whole comparison to fruit juice needs to end.

If all the hops that everyone obsess about didn't taste like fruit the comparisons wouldn't be made.

Just a couple of Trillium's beer descriptions:
http://www.trilliumbrewing.com/trillium-galaxy-dry-hopped-fort-point-pale-ale
"Enticingly hazy and blonde in appearance with frothy carb, the nose erupts with strong citrus, passion fruit, and pineapple aromatics. Upfront and resinous hop-derived flavors of grapefruit pith, peach, and mango are balanced with a subtle, bready malt character and mild, subdued bitterness."

http://www.trilliumbrewing.com/trillium-mettle-double-ipa
"With an intense dual dry-hop treatment of Amarillo and Citra, this medium-bodied Double IPA beckons with aromatics of peach and nectarine. A fusion of grape juice and candied citrus greet the palate while accents of white-wine, grassy hop, and a mellow bitterness reveal themselves on a smooth, dry finish. We continue to brew Mettle in recognition of our devoted following of hopheads that have supported us from the very beginning."

Virtually the entire description of both of these beers are saying that they taste and smell like fruits. People wouldn't be calling the beers fruity if the hops everyone was in love with didn't taste fruity.

More hops till i die....hops for life more hops more hops....triple iiipas for daaaayyyyyzzzzeeee....citrus floral bombs for everyone!

If it doesn't have at least 8 oz of hops in it, I ain't brewing it

raw

I had a phase where I think I overdid the hop consumption and stopped craving them. It lasted all of 2 weeks before my taste buds came back around.

Turns out the cure was more hops. Now I have two IPAs bottled and a pale fermenting.

I don't want to just hear about malt just as much as I don't want to just hear about hops. I love beer where you can taste both the malt and the hops and neither overpowers the other.

The modern hop-centric focus is the most boring... Everyone wants the new fruity hops while there is so much more that hops can provide. There are so many great hops other than citra, mosaic, and simcoe.

try heather, and other herbs, make yourself a gruit

Ugh. I had a heathered gruit this summer; it tasted like distilled cough syrup. I don't doubt that a gruit can be good - having only had one I'm hardly an expert - but the one I had was undrinkable so I'm thinking there's something to the consensus on using hops in beer.

Ugh. I had a heathered gruit this summer; it tasted like distilled cough syrup. I don't doubt that a gruit can be good - having only had one I'm hardly an expert - but the one I had was undrinkable so I'm thinking there's something to the consensus on using hops in beer.

Maybe it tasted like chinese cough syrups? The beers that I've had tasting like cough syrup are ones that have "cherry" flavor such as Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.

I thought that Professor Fritz Briem's 13th Century Gruit Bier was one of the most delicious beers I've had... It's the only gruit I've had but I thought that it was just a limited time thing... But it's been readily available at the stores I've been going to at least.
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23495/44016/

Wait...WHAT???

I'm REALLY interested in seeing how my pilsner with Loral hops will turn out. I am interested in hops, new breeds of hops, and experimental hops... But I think that the citrusy/fruity hops are boring. I am much more interested in the different flavors that hops can produce... The range of earthy, floral, spicy and such.

I bought 2oz of Pekko hops because of their supposed minty flavor to see what it would be like and what they could go well in.
But I am very excited about the Loral hops because they are said to basically taste like old world noble hops with a bit of a new world twist.

Hops are great but I think they get too much credit. What about the yeast? When will people start to care about the yeast strain over what hops are put in the beer? Anyone can dump a S load of hops into the whirlpool and then dry hop the crap out of a beer. Sure, it's tastes good because hops taste good but there's no skill involved in that. Anyone who knows how to make beer, and wants to spend a lot of money on hops, can make a west coast/NE IPA...
The yeast though... So many breweries have their own house strain that they've captured, isolated, and developed on their own. Finding that right yeast strain to make the hops really pop and not get in the way is a much more difficult aspect to accomplish. Sure, we can use any clean high attenuating strain and come away with a nice IPA but it's the heady toppers and Pliney's that really do it correctly with their own, proprietary yeast strain.

So, yes, I'm tired of hearing about NE IPA's and the juice bombs, etc... To me, they're not special. I'm not saying they're not tasty and awesome, but there's really nothing stopping me from making them.

Maybe it tasted like chinese cough syrups? The beers that I've had tasting like cough syrup are ones that have "cherry" flavor such as Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.

I thought that Professor Fritz Briem's 13th Century Gruit Bier was one of the most delicious beers I've had... It's the only gruit I've had but I thought that it was just a limited time thing... But it's been readily available at the stores I've been going to at least.
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23495/44016/

Chinese cough syrup is actually delicious! Mmmm, 枇杷膏! Made with loquats and a long-ass list of natural (?) ingredients, many of which I've never heard of, I sometimes convince myself I have a sore throat so I can take a swig of that viscous goodness (no, it's not alcoholic ;)). No, the heather gruit had a strong medicinal flavor (maybe unfair to say "cough syrup", since it certainly didn't taste like the all-too-common western "cherry" cough syrup) that was very off-putting and not at all nice. Then again, other drinkers ordered pints of it while I was at the bar and raved about it, so to each his own.

Once a year I always get oversaturated by hoppy beers and drink some American lagers for a week or two, then I'm right back on them. Dry hoppy beers are just so damn tasty, malty beers are never in season for me.

I don't want to just hear about malt just as much as I don't want to just hear about hops. I love beer where you can taste both the malt and the hops and neither overpowers the other.

The modern hop-centric focus is the most boring... Everyone wants the new fruity hops while there is so much more that hops can provide. There are so many great hops other than citra, mosaic, and simcoe.

Yeah, you forgot about Nelson Sauvin, and Sorachi Ace, and Chinook, and.... ;)

i mean to each his own right...i love hops...but i also love malt...both are key ingredients in beer...why hate??

Yeah, you forgot about Nelson Sauvin, and Sorachi Ace, and Chinook, and.... ;)

Nelson Sauvin are good hops and I do see love for them around. But I don't know if it's just due to low availability but they do NOT have nearly the mindshare that the hops I mentioned do.

Sorachi Ace from what I can tell is largely thought of as more of a gimmicky hop. Its dill and lemon flavors are unique but people rarely want it in most of their beers. The only common one I know of is Brooklyn Brewery's beer.

Chinook is a classic and is used a whole lot but it doesn't have the presence and love that Citra, Mosaic, Simcoe, or possibly Galaxy have now.

Everyone raves over the new fruity hops. It seems that every brewery is throwing out beers left and right advertising Citra or Mosaic to where people who don't homebrew know about them and search them out.

Back