Tired of electronic thermometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVD_X

Reaction score
Folks,

I have been through a half-dozen electronic thermometers since my last glass scientific thermometer broke. They fail for one reason or another... get wet... burn probe on edge of kettle, etc... and have had it.

My old scientific thermometer was extremely accurate but slow to read correctly (30 second to a minute depending on temp). I am willing to put up with the time lag but I want to avoid breaking it again.

I found an armored scientific thermometer on McMaster-Carr but I am concerned that bugs might get between the sheath and the actual thermometer.

What do you think?

McMaster-Carr

If it's just a matter of the probe getting wet and then reading gibberish, place the probe in a 375 degree oven. Once the thermometer reads 350 the unit will reset itself.

I've done this on a number of occasions.

I think most of the thermo probes use silicone rubbers because of their heat resistance, they are after all designed to get stuck inside meat while its in the oven right, assuming you're using a basic kitchen electric thermometer.

Not if it's a meat thermometer, which a lot of us use. They're designed to stick in the meat while the oven is cooking.

Ooooo simulpost!

OK - I just checked - good to 392. Which makes me wonder - what use is an oven thermometer that only goes to 392?

search amazon for a stainless thermometer. I got mine for $17, it is waterproof, made of stianless and has an auto off feature that sometimes turns off to soon. You can see it in this picture. Sorry if it is slightly blurry.

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/1/medium/Mash_Temps.JPG[/URL]

For a while I used a probe thermometer from the kitchen. The ones that are a timer too and have a lead to a probe that I wrap around the handle to keep it off the bottom. It worked great b/c the alarm would go off when I hit the target temp. Somehow it stopped working (I dropped it) and now I'm just using a fry thermometer. May have to replace the kitchen timer though, its great to not have to constantly check the temp.

Back