Sloppy mash = botched hefe - dump it or doctor it??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommydee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, BIAB #2 and #3 were great successes, then I got sloppy.

Like my other botched batch, (stalled, sweet stout), I had some time pressures due to a family event later on my brew day.

I must not have mixed my strike water before I mashed, after dough in, It read 155.7....and since my pot always drops in the first 15 minutes, rather than adding a bunch of ice, I went with it and stirred a bunch with the lid off. After 75 min total, lid on, coat on top, only dropped to 153.5. To make matters worse, I totally forgot to check the mash pH.

Additionally, I was a bit short on starting gravity at 1.047 target 1.052.
I had a nice starter of wyeast 3068 ready 2 weeks prior, decanted from the fridge, and reactivated with some wort....it was making a nice Krausen on the stir plate when I pitched my oxygenated wort, and it took off with a nice strong ferment in temp controlled chamber at 65 for about 3-4 days....so I think yeast was fine

Left it alone, raised to 68 on day 8. When I checked the FG on day 13, 7 days after Krausen had dropped and activity ceased, was 5 points high at 1.018. Also, had sulphur odor. Tasted like clove sulphur bread, confirming stalled fermentation, probably since I had low attenuable sugars due to high mash temp. At 3.9% ABV, I might just sewer it, and learn from it.

Or should I give it a week? I gave both carboys a nice stir and bumped up to 70 yesterday. I think the sulphur smell today may have already subsided. I think I will check next week, and if 1.016 or lower, I will keg and try it a week later after carbing. If stuck at 1.018, I will dump.

I'm noticing importance of really good mixing before taking temps and SG samples. I'm going to make the following changes to my process to fix this.

1. Putting my bayou steamer insert in with holes so I can protect the bag during heating with bag in place. In an effort to avoid "bumping" the gas, I've been erring on the side of high strike temp...and got burned.
2. Bought dedicated beer probe for my BBQ remote thermometer...I will use this to monitor strike temp as it heats.to 2 degrees below strike temp...than mix well, and get it right with my more accurate handheld while mixing before flameout prior to dough in
3. Add several layers of reflectix,...I'm losing too much heat, 2 layers not enough....but either way, I'll just check at 15 minutes, and bump/stir with confidence with the inner steamer insert in place to protect the bag.
4. Hand write in a spot on my Beersmith recipe sheet to remind me to take a Mash pH!

Let me know if you guys agree with my diagnosis...any other ideas to salvage the batch, any other ideas to improve my technique? Trying to avoid the hassle of recirc....but am considering it if it gives me more consistency.

If it were me, id give it time...time heals all wounds especially beer related ones.

Your mash temp was that high in all honesty I've mashed a pale ale or two at 154 so I don't think that's as big of an issue as you are making it out to be.

Also, you don't need to recirc, you just need to dial in your system...which of course means brewing more beer! It took me about 3-4 batches to really get my numbers and temps perfect so keep at it!

I dont even bother taking a FG much anymore...who cares!
If the beer tastes great what difference does it make? My vote is to let it ride a few weeks and see what it tastes like....make your decision on that judgment alone, not a conceptual or precieved required number.

I agree, you made it this far. Let it ride and drink it. If it tastes good, who cares? I hardly ever take FG readings. I just keg and drink.

Latest posts

Back