Tips for an old guy trying to learn guitar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a funny instructional video. [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovk-6hsbW38[/ame] He shows what perfect practice(starting slow and accurate) can produce. I recommend doing exercises like these, but most importantly enjoying your time playing.
Learning different techniques for me was enjoyable. By learning I mean experimenting with different chords, vibrato, alternate picking,using a slide, sweep picking, tapping*eruption by Eddie Van Halen*, finger picking, classical, classic rock, 80s metal, blues. This is not a total list
Developing skills in each of those areas helps improve the others, even just trying them.
BTW some guitars are just difficult to play on so we just have to work with what we have. I also highly recommend using 9 gauge electric guitar strings. The guitar will not sound like it is supposed to, but it wont sound horrible. It will be much easier to play on.

Lessons were a good idea. I cannot see any improvement in playing from lessons yet, but I'm now attempting to improve on things I never would have even thought to try to improve upon before.

Sweet lesson dan i enjoyed it and will try
Ridire there's no short cut you are going to pay some dues but you are seriously shortening the time by lessons alsi practice perfect as mentioned IN RHYTHM and learn to make what you hear in your head happen on guitar

I got my first guitar in 1976 along with the songbook "The Eagles Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975)"

song 1 on side 1 was the very first song I ever learned

RIP, Glenn Frey, thank you for giving me one of the greatest gifts I've ever received and one I still cherish today. thanks for teaching me how to play guitar

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the Hall of Fame Reverb pedal for Christmas (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004OK17QS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20) and it is really really cool. I played with it live this past Sunday and it sounded great, really adding some dimension to the acoustic string picking I was doing.

I learned of it after I went to a show where a friend of mine (one of these guys who is in Nashville to try to make it big) was playing a small show. He was playing a $200 Fender guitar (he has a Taylor 314 but most of the time prefers the Fender actually) and it sounded super super good. After the show I was telling him how great it sounded, and he pulled out the pedal and said that was his little secret, and it makes a big difference for him. So, after that I was sold and had to have it.

That is my first pedal, but I'm thinking of getting an Ibanez Tube Screamer for my electric next. I saw one used for $40 and I should have grabbed it, but oh well. I'm sure another will pop up sometime.

OK, for anyone who started playing after the age of 30. How long before you could cleanly play barre chords? I'm not talking about the "mini F" with only the high two strings barred, I'm talking about the real barre chords...the "E shape" and "Em Shape", etc.

After about a week of this, I'm convinced that the muscles required to get my pinky to do this died years ago and will never return.

OK, for anyone who started playing after the age of 30. How long before you could cleanly play barre chords? I'm not talking about the "mini F" with only the high two strings barred, I'm talking about the real barre chords...the "E shape" and "Em Shape", etc.

After about a week of this, I'm convinced that the muscles required to get my pinky to do this died years ago and will never return.

I'm very much interested in the same answer, since my index finger on my fretting hand is almost one big blister right now.

I've been trying to figure out how much is technique, strength development, callus development, etc. This guy has me almost convinced that it's all about technique:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzYfdYtoFf4[/ame]

A lot also depends on your guitar. If you are playing an old beat up acoustic with high action and a bent truss rod, bar chords won't ever sound clean unless you squeeze the bajesus out of it and pick slowly. On my electric, I don't even have to think about it.

Focus on keeping your fingers well centered between the frets and building your thumb muscle strength. Your blisters will become callouses and they won't hurt anymore. Wiping them down with rubbing alcohol after you play will help build callouses faster too (Eric Clapton's trick).

Something that really helped my dexterity and finger strength was playing chromatic scales (focusing on alternating up and down picking) from low E all the way up the fret board. By the time you're at the 12th fret, your forearm and thumb muscles will feel like they are on fire, but it builds accuracy and strength pretty quickly.

A lot also depends on your guitar. If you are playing an old beat up acoustic with high action and a bent truss rod, bar chords won't ever sound clean unless you squeeze the bajesus out of it and pick slowly. On my electric, I don't even have to think about it.

Focus on keeping your fingers well centered between the frets and building your thumb muscle strength. Your blisters will become callouses and they won't hurt anymore. Wiping them down with rubbing alcohol after you play will help build callouses faster too (Eric Clapton's trick).

Something that really helped my dexterity and finger strength was playing chromatic scales (focusing on alternating up and down picking) from low E all the way up the fret board. By the time you're at the 12th fret, your forearm and thumb muscles will feel like they are on fire, but it builds accuracy and strength pretty quickly.

Thanks. I have a new guitar with a professional set-up (if I'm not saying that right, what I mean is that a professional set the action where he thought it should be). Just yesterday, I switched from 12s to 10s. Not sure I'll keep them that way, but I thought maybe it would make this portion of the learning curve a little easier.

Thanks. I have a new guitar with a professional set-up (if I'm not saying that right, what I mean is that a professional set the action where he thought it should be). Just yesterday, I switched from 12s to 10s. Not sure I'll keep them that way, but I thought maybe it would make this portion of the learning curve a little easier.

Thinner strings should indeed make for a lighter touch. Are you making sure your thumb pad is pressed into the back of the neck? (I.e. not wrapping your thumb all the way around the neck Hendrix style).

I don't mean to step on any toes or rehash old ground or anything, just trying to cover the basics.

Thinner strings should indeed make for a lighter touch. Are you making sure your thumb pad is pressed into the back of the neck? (I.e. not wrapping your thumb all the way around the neck Hendrix style).

I don't mean to step on any toes or rehash old ground or anything, just trying to cover the basics.

I have tried the thumb in various places. Good thing is that I take lessons via skype but will be on a "guys' weekend" next week with the guy who is giving me lessons. Will probably help for him to be up close and see what I'm doing with the thumb. I have only been attempting this for about a week, so I'm nowhere near the "I can't frigging do this" point yet.

I have tried the thumb in various places. Good thing is that I take lessons via skype but will be on a "guys' weekend" next week with the guy who is giving me lessons. Will probably help for him to be up close and see what I'm doing with the thumb. I have only been attempting this for about a week, so I'm nowhere near the "I can't frigging do this" point yet.

Haha you'll probably reach that point, I did but eventually got back into it and started really enjoying it. That was 15 years ago and I haven't looked back :) I mostly just play blues now, because that's what always naturally comes out when I play. I got the most frustrated when I was trying to play music styles that I liked but didn't feel "natural" to play. It's a strange thing to try to describe and I hope that makes some sense.

Bar chords take a good amount of time to build up the strength in your hand but once you've got it it feels great AND you open up a world of opportunities for you. Keep at it and after three weeks you'll have improved

Bar chords take a good amount of time to build up the strength in your hand but once you've got it it feels great AND you open up a world of opportunities for you. Keep at it and after three weeks you'll have improved

That's the thing. I'm sick of hearing a song, thinking that I'd love to learn to play it, pulling up the chords on Google and then saying "damn, I can't do that because it has an F Chord (or some other barre chord)". Very limiting. I'd like to get to the point where the challenge in learning a new song isn't with the left had, but with the right.

That's the thing. I'm sick of hearing a song, thinking that I'd love to learn to play it, pulling up the chords on Google and then saying "damn, I can't do that because it has an F Chord (or some other barre chord)". Very limiting. I'd like to get to the point where the challenge in learning a new song isn't with the left had, but with the right.

Bar chords are difficult, no easy way out. BUT, I promise they are worth the price of admission. I cannot give you any magic advice except for "practice". I will make you a short video tomorrow with a few quick tips that might help though. Tonight, I must watch the Sopranos with the wife and act like the drunken roughneck that I am.

I had a good time at Martis Gras, even played my guitar on Bourbon. The other pic is of my buddy "Harry" the parrot. Do not look in the background!

martigras.jpg

parrot.jpg

If I were to recommend a bar chord to start with I'd say F#m. It isn't complicated and is a good starting point. As you build up hand strength you'll find it gets easier and easier, and the sound will get clearer and clearer. Once you've got that licked you can start working on a few others which are slightly more complicated. But the more complicated chords will become easier once you've built up the hand strength and muscle familiarity.

I was super super intimidated by bar chords at first but I really liked Beatles songs so I needed to learn a few bar chords to play most their songs. Once I got the bar chords down it was no looking back. Not nearly as difficult as I had imagined. Just takes practice. No different than a guy who wants to do 30 pull ups. Just has to build up the strength little by little each day. My point being - stick with it!

Hmm, not the most well thought out thing I've ever done but I went ahead and uploaded it anyway.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=891frN0ERfI[/ame]

Hmm, not the most well thought out thing I've ever done but I went ahead and uploaded it anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=891frN0ERfI

Thanks.

Frankly, when I started trying to learn, about 10 months ago (maybe a year), forming the D chord seemed impossible. Then, moving from chord to chord while strumming seemed impossible, and then the "mini F" chord seemed impossible... Now, with the real barre chords seeming "impossible", I just look back at my struggles with the D chord and laugh at "impossible".

Thanks.

Frankly, when I started trying to learn, about 10 months ago (maybe a year), forming the D chord seemed impossible. Then, moving from chord to chord while strumming seemed impossible, and then the "mini F" chord seemed impossible... Now, with the real barre chords seeming "impossible", I just look back at my struggles with the D chord and laugh at "impossible".

I like this, it's all relative. You learn some bar chords, you learn some black sabbath, play some Metallica. Then you learn different versions of the same chords and different forms with different root notes. Then you learn 9th 11ths 13th, then you play Giant Steps 160 beats per minute. Then you learn to play the melodic note up top. ;)

Basic recommended drills done in time and slowly speeded up will give you your best chance fastest.

You all make me realise just how much I suck, and just how much I need to improve, but can't.

Damn my co-ordination!!!

You all make me realise just how much I suck, and just how much I need to improve, but can't.

Damn my co-ordination!!!

Sorry it's time I am honest in the fact that my bachelor degree is in music guitar playing, And not classical either. I need to improve as well significantly. Improvement is done by playing music and/or drills in time. I said it ridires teacher said it , trust it. The goal is to play music not be a robot. Everyone here learning is lucky in that instruction and good instruction is everywhere and free. Earlier I posted a very important drill do it

I think that's a good price, not 100% sure though, haven't been in the market for a guitar for a while. I do love used guitars, such good value.

I got out this old Alvarez AD60 that i picked up at a pawn shop for 150 bucks years ago last night and blew the dust off of it. I had it autographed by Jason Boland back before I bought my Gibson. It's funny because if I had known what I know now, probably wouldn't have bought it; I mean the frets were pretty wore and it's never sounded all that great to be honest, but at the same time it's hard to imagine never owning it, so many good times together. My point is, if you have the extra walrus pelts, go for it! Could be the start of a great friendship. Although, I think you'll be very happy with the sound and quality of that Washburn though.

20160228_093249.jpg

Everything I see puts them at $200 and up. Give her a test drive. My BIL has a Washburn that plays way better than its price point.

Yeah, $225-$250 used seems common. My buddy has a Washburn that he says is similar to this model. I played it a few weeks ago and thought it sounded great. I'm going to take a look at this guitar tomorrow.

Yeah as a guitar for a value at that price it's almost a no brainer just to have another one if nothing else. I never cared for Washburn that much but they are a good guitar and a good value and I've met people strong players that do and their music is good for washburn like umm yonder that's it. Do you know how to check the neck. The action can be adjusted as well. But hundred twenty-five buy it just to sell for more and buy something else you like.

Some of it depends on your skill level 2 that is a nice guitar for a beginner. Yaddy doddy sorry hope i helped

Not the best sound right but that all Alvarez is a fine playing instrument and I prefer it a Washburn. But in the long run everybody I know that's any good is because they can sing regardless of instrument.

Question for this group - friend is a very experienced guitarist. Me...well, read through this thread. Anyone have a list of good songs that have two guitar parts, one very simple and the other a bit more advanced? Patience is an example. I can muddle through the chords but could never do the solos. Any others like that, if we start trying to actually play together?

Question for this group - friend is a very experienced guitarist. Me...well, read through this thread. Anyone have a list of good songs that have two guitar parts, one very simple and the other a bit more advanced? Patience is an example. I can muddle through the chords but could never do the solos. Any others like that, if we start trying to actually play together?

There's really an endless number of songs that fit that criteria. I would say anything Skynyrd is usually good for that sort of thing. Blues songs can actually be pretty good for that too, since the rhythm part is so easy usually and the lead parts sounds so good, but they almost always require bar chords. Mary Jane's Last Dance is a good one that comes to find, easy chords, good rhythm and awesome lead part that a lot of good players know. Think of songs that you'd be more likely to hear in a bar, those are the ones that most guitar players know well and know lead parts to. I'll try to rack my brain for some others but I'm drawing such a blank right now.

Here is a link to an audio book I found earlier that I think I'm going to read, it had me to thinking about you buying that Washburn, although I realize it won't be your very first guitar, I thought it was worth a mention.

http://www.audible.com/pd/Arts-Ente...a_search_c4_1_12_srTtl?qid=1456772804&sr=1-12

There's really an endless number of songs that fit that criteria. I would say anything Skynyrd is usually good for that sort of thing. Blues songs can actually be pretty good for that too, since the rhythm part is so easy usually and the lead parts sounds so good, but they almost always require bar chords. Mary Jane's Last Dance is a good one that comes to find, easy chords, good rhythm and awesome lead part that a lot of good players know. Think of songs that you'd be more likely to hear in a bar, those are the ones that most guitar players know well and know lead parts to. I'll try to rack my brain for some others but I'm drawing such a blank right now.

Here is a link to an audio book I found earlier that I think I'm going to read, it had me to thinking about you buying that Washburn, although I realize it won't be your very first guitar, I thought it was worth a mention.

http://www.audible.com/pd/Arts-Ente...a_search_c4_1_12_srTtl?qid=1456772804&sr=1-12

Skynard immediately came to my mind, as well. I learned Freebird as a way to work on transitioning to and from the F chord. I'm sure my friend can put the solo work over top of it. The rhythm, at least as I've learned it, is very simple. I think Horse With No Name would work, too, if the solo part isn't too boring for him. The rhythm on that song is two chords repeated over and over.

And I pulled the trigger on the Washburn. I was going to ask what I should use to clean the fretboard and bridge. The guitar is in great shape (at least to a know-nothing like me) but it is 12-13 years old and looks like it has done some sitting around.

Come to paaapaaaaaa! It came with a hard case too? She's as sexy as anything I've ever seen with a tight G string on. I wish my Washburn was in that good of shape, sadly it's much worse for wear because of me.

For the fret board I use fret board oil, and I only use it when the strings are off, if it gets on your strings they are crap, I mean they advertise you can put it on with the strings on there but I sure don't anymore. The rest of the guitar, I use guitar polish. I have some Dunlap kind for now but any kind is fine I think. I've used others and never had a preference, but the Dunlap is the most common.

Speaking of guitar care, I really recommend one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2WZJDE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Much better than those metal stands ( have a bunch of those and don't use them), and when your guitar is hanging up near you all the time instead of in a case, you'll be more likely to pick it up and play it. Plus it just looks cool having your guitar hanging in the living room all the time!

Can't believe you got the hard case with that too. Oh, AND it has electronics built-in? That's a big score!

For fret cleaner, you can pick up something like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002GZSNG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 It's amazing how much a difference it can make, both in appearance AND in playability. I use it ocassionally and can get around the frets easier after using it.

Also, while talking about it, I like to use Fast Fret on my strings before/after playing. Easier for sliding around.http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00INCGKSI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Songs to play with others: I'll say +1 to blues. My dad and I mess around with it, but it helps if you know how to play bar chords.

One I just started playing with someone is Clapton's Worried Life Blues. It's a 9th chord you just slide up and down the neck of the guitar, in the same position. Takes some time to build up the finger strength for that one, but it sounds great. My co-player threw in some great lead while I strum out the 9th chords and it sounds great.

OK, guitar question, related to my recent purchase. I played around with it a little before handing over the money, and thought it sounded good. It was outdoors, in the wide open. So, I get it home, I pull the old strings off, I use fretboard lemon oil on the freboard and the bridge, and I shine up the body. After it is looking really nice (I think I have a picture), I restrung it and took it to the basement. It sounded really muffled, almost like I'm playing in a tunnel. Now I'm kicking myself for not having played it at home before doing anything to it. I am now without a baseline to make an assessment here. Was my perception of the sound distorted because I played it a wide open space before, or did my cleaning and restringing make it sound off? Crap, I don't know.

EDIT: possible that the sound I'm describing was due to the fretboard still being moist from the oil? That's what I'm hoping. After it's had some time to sit, I'm going to give it another try. If that doesn't make it sound better, I guess I'll take it in and have it professionally set up. Any thoughts?

Back