Tipping at Hooters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "atmosphere" is MUCH better at Tilted Kilt. And it is closer to my home. So if I go to Hooters, it is for the food. I like the food better at Hooters, but the scenery is, as I said, MUCH better at Tilted Kilt.

Hmmmm there is one opening up within walking distance from my office. A new option to go with the guys from work. While I probably don't have the same interests as the guys on here, I do appreciate a nice view :) What's the beer selection like? (the menu list does not open up while at the office)

As mentioned earlier, the server/bartender pays taxes based on their sales. If they ring it up...they pay the tax. Screwed up system but it is what it is. So yes I tip for takeout. Sometimes that sways the decision to "not eating takeout tonight".

IME, the proximity of said Hooters/Tilted Kilt to a university is directly proportional to the talent within.

The "atmosphere" is MUCH better at Tilted Kilt. And it is closer to my home. So if I go to Hooters, it is for the food. I like the food better at Hooters, but the scenery is, as I said, MUCH better at Tilted Kilt.

I had NO IDEA that was a chain. They were catering at a private event I attended a year or so ago in Paso Robles and I thought it was a local pub.

we have this tavern called stoneface, well first off they have a sign that says if we are not up to your standards then lower your standards, but usually they are pretty good and good looking also. we had this one waitress who just plain old sucked, we would see our beers sitting at the bar and she was sitting at a table just talking to someone,well we had to go get our beers a couple of times. im usually a good tipper, well this time i only left her 10% and on our way out you could hear her whining about how we only tipped her 10%. yeah there sign says that and some of them live by it,but they shouldnt expect a good tip for being a crappy server

Okay so I called in an order tonite for pickup. Get there and the hostess says Julie the Bartender will ring you up. Great. Hand her the debit card and she hands me my reciept to sign. Its got the tip line on it. WTF? I just draw a line though it and sign it.

She promptly puts it away and walks away and serves another customer down the bar. I'm left standing there waiting. I notice a large order bagged up ready to go right next to the hostess, but of course I wait. Julie walks back after about 2 mintues and says to the hostess "Joe's order is up." Says nothing to me. I grab my food kinda perturbed.

So I am left thinking, did I do something wrong. Am I supposed to tip her for ringing me up? In any case that ain't ever gonna happen. Wing Stop next time, fries are better anyways!

The tip line is automatic and printed on all of them.

As for the service, that sucks.

I personally have bartended for the last 4 years at a bar/restaurant with 74 taps. I have delt with my fair share of good tippers/bad tippers or no tippers. Not only now do servers get taxed on TOTAL SALES they also have to give 15% to he house. This is becoming a industry standard. I have since left and gone to the corporate world and still frequent a pub or 2. If the service is good i tip very well. If its ok, well 15% that 15% breaks even for a server now a days. If you stand behind a bar or serve and work for tips it sure as hell makes you more understanding when your being taken care of. Now im not playing mr gimme your money, everyones different. To be honest when i got very familiar with some of my regulars i would refuse to take.their money. In turn i always had a bubble for a drink. Remember the.golden rule, treat others how you wish to be treated. Never know if you may end up tending bar or running food....

We tip like crazy here in the US. I had an interesting conversation with some Australians about tipping. They though I was nuts. I said I tipped for a haircut and I watched their minds get blown...

I hate how when I pay for a coffee, sandwich, etc. I get a tip line on the receipt. Didn't I pay the agreed upon amount for a sandwich/coffee to be made for me? If I'm waited on, that's a different story.

I personally have bartended for the last 4 years at a bar/restaurant with 74 taps. I have delt with my fair share of good tippers/bad tippers or no tippers. Not only now do servers get taxed on TOTAL SALES they also have to give 15% to he house. This is becoming a industry standard. I have since left and gone to the corporate world and still frequent a pub or 2. If the service is good i tip very well. If its ok, well 15% that 15% breaks even for a server now a days. If you stand behind a bar or serve and work for tips it sure as hell makes you more understanding when your being taken care of. Now im not playing mr gimme your money, everyones different. To be honest when i got very familiar with some of my regulars i would refuse to take.their money. In turn i always had a bubble for a drink. Remember the.golden rule, treat others how you wish to be treated. Never know if you may end up tending bar or running food....

There was a lawsuit not to long ago, maybe a couple of years, that did away with mandatory tip sharing in Texas.

Its.not tip sharing. Its the portion the restaurant has to pay on credit transactions. This is now passed on to servers whether or not you tip. This is legal and has been fought and lost. It is under right to work laws.

Im zorry i worded that bad....its 15% of your total tips based on 18% of your total sales goes to house. For example 100 in total sales they guess your tip is $18 so they take 2.70 of your money. So the server gets 15.30. Then te server pays tax on it and you get my point. But the dont pay tax on 15.30 they pay on total tips claimed + 8-10% total sales. Just did my taxes for last year so its all fresh in mind.

But anywho i agree to the orignal point....i leave 10% for take out...its nkt gonna break me, and if it was going to i shouldnt be eating out or homebrewing.

Food service is a soul-crushing job. I don't mind throwing a few bucks their way.

I think what you mean here is that customer service is a soul crushing job. When I worked in tires, when I was busting tires, I would get tipped for working fast, and careful. I work for a mega large telecommunications company now and I get a genuine thanks once in a while, but I do not ever get a tip. (naturally, because they cannot give me any money).

Tips deserve merit when good service is given.

BUT

You are dealing with the general public. The "customer is always right" BS is garbage and too many companies adopt this motto. Although, if you are serving people and you want their money (in ANY business, serving or not) the customer is always right. And the general public are friggen retards.

Example "This sandwich is cold!!!" You know its not cold, it probably just came out from under a warm heat lamp, but if you want a good tip you aren't going to argue with them. .. . . . .

The tips cup at Starbucks (I never buy from there, swmbo does) makes me give them the evil eye. They are glorified cashiers and nothing else. Not deserving of a tip esp at 6 bucks a coffee.......:confused:

Back