Tinkering with german iipa recipe.. Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthew_reagor

Reaction score
I really like the idea of a german iipa with all pilsner malt and mostly german hops. What do you guys think of how this looks so far? I want to brew on Friday 7/18. Thanks for the input!!! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405446391.461659.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1405446402.586685.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1405446391.461659.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Have u tried Stone Götterdämmerung?

I don't see any dry hop additions. This much pilsner malt will need at least a month or two to tame the intensely grainy flavor. Kind of at odds with the "drink fresh" IPA/IIPA style. I'm not trying to deter you, I think this beer will be great given time and a generous dry hop.

Pics aren't coming through, but it sounds like a good idea. What yeast are you using? I made an IPA with 1007 not too long ago that was very good. Consider that if you haven't picked another strain yet.

Thanks for the advice jaydub! I remember to dry hop after at least a month in the primary. Maybe in the keg after lagering for a month?

My instinct is to go back to the opal, and cascade (mostly opal) for dry hopping. I'm second guessing doing it in the keg. Primary 4 weeks, secondary 3 weeks, lager 3 weeks, Dryhop last week of lagering. Then enjoy. How does this time table sound???

My instinct is to go back to the opal, and cascade (mostly opal) for dry hopping. I'm second guessing doing it in the keg. Primary 4 weeks, secondary 3 weeks, lager 3 weeks, Dryhop last week of lagering. Then enjoy. How does this time table sound???

I think dry hopping after lagering is brilliant. I don't think I would dry hop in the keg unless your using whole leaf tied in a cheesecloth bag suspended with dental floss. 7-10 days in your secondary the last week laggering will extract plenty of hoppy goodness. Since you'll be at colder laggering temps (maybe?) I might add a couple days to the dry hop.

I've never used opal, but doing some reading suggests they are a super hop with hints of clean lemon, some grassiness, faint peppery spiciness, and the bright hop character you would expect from it's German lineage. I think you have the right idea to go easy with the cascade and the two should pair well.

If you're up for it, I have a German Helles and Oktoberfest i'm fermenting now, I'd love to trade a bomber or two with you in about 3 months :tank:

If you're up for it, I have a German Helles and Oktoberfest i'm fermenting now, I'd love to trade a bomber or two with you in about 3 months :tank:

That would be awesome! I needed an excuse to make a beer gun anyway!!!

I wish we got stone brewery's beers here in oklahoma. We have the worst alcohol law ever... So they don't distribute here.

Back