Timing issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmarko579

Reaction score
So I just got my brew kit last Saturday, brewed my first batch on Sunday and it has been in the primary since then. I definitely got activity the same day and it stopped bubbling today. I couldn't resist, so I opened the lid. There does appear to be some evidence of krausen, since I have a ring around the pail. So I am wondering when I should transfer it to the secondary? I will be out of town Friday through Monday this week so I wouldn't be able to transfer it until late Monday or Tuesday. Should I do it early or just wait until it has been in the primary for at least a week?

Thanks,

Jason

What kind of beer is it? Your best bet is probably to leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks and bottle

It is the Octane IPA kit from Midwest.

So I shouldn't transfer it to the secondary at all if it is late?

more and more common to skip secondary all together unless you are bulk aging the beer or adding oak, fruit or other additions

many (myself included) even dry hop in primary

theres lots of discussions about extended primary vs secondary around here if you want to read more into it

skipping secondary is less chance of oxidation and contamination/infection + it's less work

Nothing to do with being too late. You will learn that most members on this board do long primaries and don't secondary at all. I have done it both ways and honestly didn't notice a difference. I recently bottled a kolsch that I kept in the primary for 6 weeks. It was the clearest beer I have ever bottled.

You can read post after post of Rack to secondary, or don't rack to secondary. From what I read, you can be ok in the primary for quite awhile. If it is a high OG beer, then you can transfer to secondary, but for most beers, 3 - 4 weeks in the primary before you bottle is fine. Just make sure you take gravities on it to make sure that it is done. Don't count on the "Air Lock" activity as an indication of a complete fermentation.

Yea I also don't secondary. Its up to you if you want to or not, but in this specific situation (even if you are going to secondary) I would definitely NOT transfer before the weekend.

Back