time to play the "can you name this style by the pictures" game.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im torn between APA and Amber... im gonna go with Amber.

Shoot, that's a generous pour for our club. Our "leader" found out after he registered our HB club that as the acting director that he could now be sued if anyone left drunk, so for the tasting portion its 1-2 ounce pours. Then, after the meeting is "adjourned", we can go back through the ones we liked. Sissy stuff...

FromZwolle said:
i can't win again just yet. i don't have any more pictures. :)

That's ok. You don't win! Emjay does! Again!

Octoberfest night at beer barons. We are at a table of 4, and they had 13 different Octoberfest's to try. Yes, I left drunk. I made my boyfriend drive home. I'm such a lightweight! At this point I can't remember which one this was... I think maybe the hacker pschorr. Tasted kinda skunky and light struck. The rest were good.

p.s. At this point we still pour our own!

The light is definitely exaggerating the "garnet hue"

ForumRunner_20110930_164319.jpg

Its cool, we're used to you winning like its no big deal, then disappearing for a number of hours or days ;) So far, nobody has guessed even the locale of this beer

ashplub said:
Thats a Dunkel...look at that glass.

The glass itself? I was a wine snob long before I was a beer snob, and the cupboards are unfortunately too packed with other glassware to afford me lots of different beer glasses (in fact if you look back EVERY beer I've posted has been in these... I don't even have regular pint glasses)

The firth person to guess it wins

Additionally, there is no wheat here

Lastly, the light is definitely bringing out more red than you would usually perceive and thus associate with this beer

I dropped a not so subtle clue in that last one... I thought for sure a trivia master would be all over that one. 2am feels like bedtime...

bottlebomber said:
I dropped a not so subtle clue in that last one... I thought for sure a trivia master would be all over that one. 2am feels like bedtime...

I noticed it, but wasn't sure what to make of it, so figured it was unintentional, especially since (at best) it narrows it down to 4 styles for me (my guess NOT being one of them). Those odds (1/4) always make feel so uncertain lol

Mostly though, I ignored it because of something else you said in a previous hint, which I probably took too much stock in.

Is the subtle clue you misspelling first as "firth"? As in Harpoons firth of fourth?

In that case I'm going to guess scottish ale (i know that's too general but I dont think the commercial beer is labeled any more detailed than that)

Reno_eNVy said:
Is the subtle clue you misspelling first as "firth"? As in Harpoons firth of fourth?

In that case I'm going to guess scottish ale (i know that's too general but I dont think the commercial beer is labeled any more detailed than that)

The ABV makes is a more specific category, but yes, the bottle does read scottish ale so you'll be winning with that. Its Moylans Kilt Lifter

The ABV makes is a more specific category, but yes, the bottle does read scottish ale so you'll be winning with that. Its Moylans Kilt Lifter

Awww snap dude. My favorite beer (also, my first real beer that I obsessed over)

I have to duck out of the house real quick but I'll be back to post a photo. Don't you fret, now.

Reno_eNVy said:
Awww snap dude. My favorite beer (also, my first real beer that I obsessed over)

I have to duck out of the house real quick but I'll be back to post a photo. Don't you fret, now.

Have you ever tried to clone it or know of a clone recipe? Id love to try and nail this. (Obligatory that's what she said) its definitely one of my favs. The brewery is just about an hour down the 101, I keep meaning to make it down there. They make some other amazing looking beers that I've never seen in stores

Ya know I'm not aware of any clones... there's a recipe in the HBT database called "Kilt Lifter" but it wasn't intended to be a clone.

You're really close, though. I'd recommend calling them or even stopping by to talk to the brewers. They could probably lead you in the right direction.

Here's my photo. Haze is due to frosty glass.

2011-09-04_13_21_21.jpg

Hint: This style is often difficult to differentiate from a couple other styles.

No to both of those.

Time for a new hint... and to be honest it's really hard to think of one that won't really give it away :D

How about this: A dry yeast user is more likely to use S-04. This style is probably going to be hopped with Fuggles/Goldings and a small amount of adjuncts in the mash for body/head-retention is not uncommon.

Since you actually left no distinguishing clues, I'm going to do the exact same thing you did with YOUR guess the previous round, and say...

Bitter.

Bingo. Actually, your guess it less general than my previous one :D It's an Ordinary Bitter so you can really get away with just calling it a bitter.

I couldn't leave too many distinguishing clues without it being extra-obvious (though, even being vague it was kind of obvious.) My other options were in the realm of "it's a session", "it's the lowest OG of it's category", "real ale", etc

Back