Time For Clearing in Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nowashburn

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just finished bottling my first batch of home brew. It is an extract American Pale Ale done with a basic (no secondary) home brew setup I bought. It was in the primary for about 2 weeks before bottling and is pretty cloudy in the bottle. I was wondering how long I should keep it bottled before opening and how long / how much clearer it will get in the bottle. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Some APAs are commonly a bit cloudy because they contain a large quantity of hop oils. If it was cloudy going into the bottle, it'll probably stay that way for quite a while, or idefinitely.
If it was fairly transparent going into the bottle, it's just a matter of a couple of weeks until carbonation is done, and the yeast will settle out fairly quickly.

Best way is to let let them carb up until you think they are ready and transfer to a fridge or store somewhere cold and let them settle out and clear up. My clearest beer was a belgian dubbel which sat in a beer fridge (@7C) for several months before drinking.

It depends on what is causing the cloudiness.

If it is yeast, some take longer (or colder) to settle than others.

US05/WLP001/WY1056 (if thats the yeast you use) is not very flocculent. I happen to like this about it but most of the other american ale yeasts (Pacman, the Anchor ale strain etc) are more flocculent.

Latest posts

Back