Time cures a lot!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diver165

Reaction score
I've read a LOT of posts on here and there is one thing that I have picked up: Time cures a lot of issues with the way your beer tastes. Brothers and sisters, I have seen the light!!! Can I get an Amen!?!?

I brewed up a Bourbon Barrel Ale from Midwest in September 2010. Dunno why, but the kit caught my eye so I tried it out. It has been my only beer that I racked to secondary too. I transferred it to a bed of bourbon soaked oak chips for 3 months. After that it went to bottles which carbed up nicely. I was kind of disappointed to be quite honest at a 2week taste. It was like taking a shot of bourbon and taking a swig of beer at the same time. Heavy bourbon flavor with a vanilla finish. (no vanilla was used). I presume that was from the bourbon soaked oak.

Disappointed I pushed the beer into the back corner of the basement until I could figure out what I was going to do with 2 cases of Bourbon Barrel Vanilla flavored Lighter Fluid... I mean Beer.

So flash forward almost a year after I brewed it. I was grilling lastnight and went to fetch a brew out of the beer fridge. W/O thinking I grabbed the first one I could reach and popped the top. You guessed it...Bourbon Barrel Ale, DAMNIT!!! Apparently there was one left in the fridge and SWMBO ruined my beer classification and filing system around post fridge cleaning....anyway. I thought, "oh hell...may as well try it." To my surprise, wow... Smooooth. The harsh bourbon tones have calmed waaay down giving more of a sweet mellow bourbony splash with a mild vanilla finish tempered by hops.

So, either it was really good or I was too ****faced to care. But I didn't burn dinner or set fire to the garage so I don't think it was the latter. Time cures a lot with beer.

I did a thread on my Whiskely Ale here some couple of months ago. I bottled it on 7/2,& it tasted of woody bourbon. Rather strong. On 7/24,I popped one in the fridge for a couple of hours to try it. low carbonation,about 2" head. But the bourbon flavor was already smoothing out nicely with the malt flavors from the dark ale base beer. Mixing well with the bright Kent Golding & Haulertauer hop flavors.
I'll try one again on our anniversary 8/27. Hopefully better carb,head,& flavors by then. The problem with the head/carb may also be that I had to use my bottling bucket as a secondary. Gotta make another one to use as a secondary from now on.

Back