Through wall outdoor Keezer - mega build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramdough

Reaction score
All,

I am starting on a one year keezer build. The reason I say one year is that I am building a house that will have a keezer built into it.

I will try to get some pictures this week, but this is the general plan. I have framed a "window" into the wall that separates my outdoor kitchen (on my patio) from my work shop space. My work shop space will have a sink, drain, exhaust fan, electrical panel, etc...... all up against the wall. My brew stand, fermentation fridge, and freezer will be against the wall.

I will push the freezer against the wall, put a collar on it, then insulate a box into the wall for the beer lines.

My taps will be mounted outside into the box in the wall.

I also have a soda gun and accessories. My taps and the gun will be mounted together. I also have an ice maker I bought off CL that will be part of my outdoor kitchen. I have a large flush mount drip tray for the taps that will be built in. There is also an outdoor sink.

The outdoor kitchen will have a Tv mounted above the taps. And there will be a pool and spa next to the patio.

I have been collecting parts for the past 4 years, so my hoarding should finally pay off.

I planned to use all of this at my old house, but since I am building a new one, I thought I would build it all in.

I am basically building most of this myself and hiring trades for the house.

The current status is that the walls are framed.

Be patient. This will take a year to build.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1491084566.656539.jpg

Well, had some major delays and drama with a sub, but some progress is being made.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1496087008.313961.jpg

This is the framed opening for the beer taps. The counter will be at 42".

Tap shanks will be at about 60".

Built in drain.

Planning on 4 taps and a soda gun.

I poured the counter foundation with the slab so they would not shift. The patio will be 3.5" below the slab.

Lumber looks like some black mold starting... and I see standing water on the slab. You may want to hit it all with a bleach spray to kill it off before sealing it in the walls.

Lumber looks like some black mold starting... and I see standing water on the slab. You may want to hit it all with a bleach spray to kill it off before sealing it in the walls.

Already bought a big sprayer to treat the whole house with bleach and boric acid. It has been a very wet spring. A lot of the darkness in the wood is from laying out in the sun. The framer I had bailed on the job and left the wood out. Either way, I plan to spray everything once it is closer to being dried in.

I hope you sue that framer or haven't paid him anything... I have been around construction my entire life and framers who pull that tend to not stay in business long! Had one case where the framer basically stole $40k from a marine widow with 4 kids. Bunch of us pitched in and finished framing and got the house to where it needed plumbing, electrical, and drywall/trim. Last I heard that framer had a visit from a dozen marines, he found the money he stole really quick!

Right now he cost me a bunch of money due to the delay and his poor quality. I had to have a bunch of his work redone. Plus other costs. I am waiting to see if any additional costs come up before I decide how to proceed.

Having a dozen angry marines would probably be a lot easier than any other solution, but I feel a little lucky that it was not worse than it is.

On to a more fun topic.

I plan to either use a stainless steel back splash behind the taps or tiles.

I am trying to decide.

Any opinions?

The counters will be stained concrete, the wall will have some tile on it up 6", and the "coffin" will be framed in rough stained cedar.

Very cool. I love construction. Been around it my whole life too. Looks very different from around here with no basement. Must be nice to not have to worry about frost heaving your slabs and footings. Good luck with the project.

Thanks guys. This house has had more stress than the last one so far. I am hoping it all came early and the rest is smooth sailing.

I was concerned about raccoons getting into it. I am planning so sort of insulated cover that latches to protect from freezing, dirt, and unwanted pests.

Back