American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can get your hands on a Yellow Rose by Lone Pint, you'll know exactly the flavors Mosaic imparts. It's a SMASH with pilsner and Mosaic. And it's super delicious. Lot's of grapefruit in my opinion.

I've had lizard king by pipeworks that is a Mosaic only hopped ipa and really liked it. That gave me the inspiration to use it.

I've got some Vermont DIPA yeast (Conan) that I'm wanting to try. Has anyone ever brewed ZD clone and used Conan? If so, how did it turn out?

Just looking for some feedback....After boiling and chilling, the OG sample had a really strong, bitter after taste. I mashed at 154. Just curious if this is common with this recipe? Thanks

Just looking for some feedback....After boiling and chilling, the OG sample had a really strong, bitter after taste. I mashed at 154. Just curious if this is common with this recipe? Thanks

I had this issue before adjusting my water chemistry. For me, the mash pH was off and I was getting astringency which I described the same way you did. Astringency can also be caused by too fine of a crush as well.

Well I let the bottles condition for 2 weeks and all I can say is that this beer is going to be my new go to brew. First batch is awesome and tastes great. Going to do another batch. Don't think this will last long.

Your pre-fermentation sample will taste very little like your finished beer...relax and take care of it until it is carbed and ready to enjoy.

I know it is a bit off topic, but brewed this a few times and really really enjoy it. However, with summer coming more of a session PA is called for so has anyone done a lower ABV version of this beer?

Dave

I know it is a bit off topic, but brewed this a few times and really really enjoy it. However, with summer coming more of a session PA is called for so has anyone done a lower ABV version of this beer?

Dave

Not directly applicable but my favorite widely available session IPA is Founders All-Day IPA an there is a convincing clone thread on here for it.

Full throttle and mashed in. Beer soon.

Edit: God... just pulled a remmy. Brewing this now.

Previously I was worried about how astringent this was after the boil and chill (OG 1.061) but six days in the fermentor at 65 degrees and 1.017 this had an awesome taste. Very refreshing and fruity. But I check on it yesterday and noticed the lid wasnt sealed. The air lock was also stopped up. Not sure if that was what caused the lid to pop off or If I didnt get it sealed good from the sample I took two days prior. Anyways to gravity was at 1.016 but it didnt seem to have the same in your face taste, maybe even a stale taste. Could this be from the lid not being sealed for a day and a half?

I know this thread is old but I'm asking corea little help. Would the recipe with the 6lbs of dme be considered a partial mash? I have only done a dozen extract with specialty grains recipes. Do I do a mini mash with the grains and some rinsing? And can I crush the grains myself or do I have to mill? Appreciate any help. I have all the ingredients and will be brewing in a week.

Sorry if this question was asked before but is this recipe designed to only mash the Munich and Pale malts. I was sort of interpreting that a grain bag was used to steep the specialty grains (I'm assuming Melanoiden, Caramel, and Carafoam) i.e. 30 mins maybe in like 1.5 gallons. I suppose this could be done in the HLT targeting perhaps the temp for mashing i.e. 160 degrees if you are looking for 152. Once the steeping was complete, remove the specialty grain bags and the additional water intended for doing the mash i.e. approximately 2 gallons. Complete the first running and approximately an additional 3.5 gallons (batch sparging) and after 15 mins transfer to boil kettle... I want to do this on Saturday but after reviewing the original recipe, I started to have questions.

Couple other questions- rice hauls needed? I suspect not but wanted to make sure

What was the mash ratio looks like its greater than 2 quarts/lb?

Lastly, anyone due this recipe with a boil time of 90 minutes to remove any DMS? I was wondering how that might effect FWHing.

Sorry if this question was asked before but is this recipe designed to only mash the Munich and Pale malts. I was sort of interpreting that a grain bag was used to steep the specialty grains (I'm assuming Melanoiden, Caramel, and Carafoam) i.e. 30 mins maybe in like 1.5 gallons. I suppose this could be done in the HLT targeting perhaps the temp for mashing i.e. 160 degrees if you are looking for 152. Once the steeping was complete, remove the specialty grain bags and the additional water intended for doing the mash i.e. approximately 2 gallons. Complete the first running and approximately an additional 3.5 gallons (batch sparging) and after 15 mins transfer to boil kettle... I want to do this on Saturday but after reviewing the original recipe, I started to have questions.

Couple other questions- rice hauls needed? I suspect not but wanted to make sure

What was the mash ratio looks like its greater than 2 quarts/lb?

Lastly, anyone due this recipe with a boil time of 90 minutes to remove any DMS? I was wondering how that might effect FWHing.

Rice hulls are rarely needed. ive only used them before for a pumpkin beer and tahts cause you add all the pumkin puree to the mash.

Use a mash calc to figure out your volumes

60 min boil is fine. 90 min is usually for when you use pilsner malt cause they have more dms.

In terms of steeping let me just clarify the question. Can I just include the specialty grains in the mash versus steeping. The brewmaster at the home brew store seemed to think that I could just mash all of the grains together. When I milled the grain, I just threw them all in.... I'm hoping this isn't going to be a big deal. I would be batch sparging.

In terms of steeping let me just clarify the question. Can I just include the specialty grains in the mash versus steeping. The brewmaster at the home brew store seemed to think that I could just mash all of the grains together. When I milled the grain, I just threw them all in.... I'm hoping this isn't going to be a big deal. I would be batch sparging.

If you're brewing all grain or even partial mash, then yes... you can mash them all together. There is no need to steep if you are mashing.

Yeah I'm doing all grain so its good to know that I don't need to add another step steeping. Now for hopefully the last question. The citra, I picked up has an alpha of 13.6 beta of 3.4. After putting in the hop additions in beersmith I'm coming up with an outrageous IBU qty i.e. over 100.

What I was planning on doing was 1 oz FWH, 1 oz 30 min, 1 oz 15 min, 1oz 10 min, 1 oz 5 min and 3 oz dry hop for 7 days after 14 days in the primary. I'm gonna cold crash for 2 days after the 7 days of dry hopping and its all going into the primary. Despite putting in beersmith that I'm doing a FWH, its still calculating 49 IBUs being added with just this addition. Should I disregard and enter it as a 20 min hop addition like I saw some did to get a better estimate. I suspect I might still need to dial it back given the alpha content in these citra pellets.

Yeah I'm doing all grain so its good to know that I don't need to add another step steeping. Now for hopefully the last question. The citra, I picked up has an alpha of 13.6 beta of 3.4. After putting in the hop additions in beersmith I'm coming up with an outrageous IBU qty i.e. over 100.

What I was planning on doing was 1 oz FWH, 1 oz 30 min, 1 oz 15 min, 1oz 10 min, 1 oz 5 min and 3 oz dry hop for 7 days after 14 days in the primary. I'm gonna cold crash for 2 days after the 7 days of dry hopping and its all going into the primary. Despite putting in beersmith that I'm doing a FWH, its still calculating 49 IBUs being added with just this addition. Should I disregard and enter it as a 20 min hop addition like I saw some did to get a better estimate. I suspect I might still need to dial it back given the alpha content in these citra pellets.

Do the FWH. Just follow the directions in the OP. Dont worry about what beer smith says about the IBUs

I made a very small batch of this (2.5 gal.. really 2 gal after all the trub) and bottled it up a few weeks ago. I used WLP002 instead of one of the recommended strains.

I got into it over the weekend. :drunk: Man this is good beer. I'll definitely make this one again, but in a larger quantity.

Thanks OP!

Last edited:
Munich should be mashed, as the starch is not converted like crystal malts. Technicially Melanoidin malt should be mashed too.

You can easily make change from steeping to mash with a small kitchen pot on your stove and a thermometer:

- Use 5 cups of water for every 1 pound of grain.
- Heat water to approx 160-165F (no hotter)
- Crush grains and put them in a muslin or nylon mesh bag
- Mix grain bag into the water, making sure to break up grain clumps in bag.
- Cover pot and let grain rest for 30 minutes in hot water.
- Add VERY LOW heat at 15 minutes, be careful not to burn muslin bag to pot. Temp should be no colder than 145F, no hotter than 160F. Do not add heat if you want to keep it simple to start.
- After 30 minutes, remove grain bag, let drip dry. Do not squeeze.
- Pour this new wort into your main boil kettle, add water and extract to complete the brew.

I hope this helps!
~Adam

I've been reading this thread for a while and until I got to this post, I was under the impression that all of the grains and malts were steeped (not mashed).

I had ordered the 1 lb of Munich and 1/2 lb of the Crystal, Carafoam, and Melanoidin to come in the same bag.

Is this a problem? Can I perform the steps in the quote above, with the grains and malts in the same muslin bag? Or should I have gotten the grains separate from the malts?

I've been reading this thread for a while and until I got to this post, I was under the impression that all of the grains and malts were steeped (not mashed).

I had ordered the 1 lb of Munich and 1/2 lb of the Crystal, Carafoam, and Melanoidin to come in the same bag.

Is this a problem? Can I perform the steps in the quote above, with the grains and malts in the same muslin bag? Or should I have gotten the grains separate from the malts?

GreatFermentations has a recipe called Braineater which is practically identical to the PM/Extract version on this thread. (Except they use LME and slightly less Citra)

In their recipe it just calls for steeping the grains and not doing a mash. I'm assuming that if you just steep them that it may not be as tasty of a brew than if you had mashed the Munich. Because, steeping is not near as efficient at extracting sugars from the malt as mashing.

Am I understanding that correctly?

Very good beer!!! Mines almost 5 weeks old now and it's getting good. Zombie dust clone? I don't think so, but good been none the less. When does this beer hit its peak???

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.75 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.3 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 8.3 %
0.40 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
0.40 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
0.40 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %

I've made the PM version of this and I'm getting ramped up to make an AG. I was thinking of swapping out some grains for some wheat, just to change it up a bit. Any opinions on what you would pull out (or reduce) to add in some wheat. And please don't ask "why?", as I don't have a great reason. Just looking to experiment. I would think the carafoam would be the likely odd man out, but I'm far from a recipe building expert.

Thanks. :mug:

Going to brew this next weekend, since it has such great reviews! Just bought my ingredients... $50 zikes! Here's to not screwing it up :D I'm planning to mash at 152, is there a consensus among you that have brewed this?

Thx -JR

Going to brew this next weekend, since it has such great reviews! Just bought my ingredients... $50 zikes! Here's to not screwing it up :D I'm planning to mash at 152, is there a consensus among you that have brewed this?

Thx -JR

OK, I hate following up on my own post but.. I have a couple more questions :eek:

I bought two packs of safale-04 (just in case) should I pitch both (using the 6 gallon recipe).

Lastly, fermentation temp. Does 65 seem about right?

Thanks again -JR

Newbee to homebrewing, not newbee to enjoying good beer... love ZD!

I've only done DME kits thus far and I am looking forward to doing a full brew (steeping).

Should I use a yeast starter on this recipe and if so, how would one go about that? When to mix, when to add?

Thanks in advance!

OK, I hate following up on my own post but.. I have a couple more questions :eek:

I bought two packs of safale-04 (just in case) should I pitch both (using the 6 gallon recipe).

Thanks again -JR

I pitched 2 packs of 04 and it was fine. I fermented at 66 and it gave it a clean profile. Wish I mashed a little lower though cause I'd like it a little drier. I mashed at 154

Thanks again -JR

I mashed at 152F, pitched one rehydrated pack of s-04 and was very happy with the result.

I have my temp probe up against the side of the fermenter in my chamber and fermented around 60-62F. Not sure how you're measuring temperatures or what your fermentation chamber is like, but I think you're probably good anywhere in the low-mid 60's.

Also, bitchin' El Camino. ;)

I mashed at 152F, pitched one rehydrated pack of s-04 and was very happy with the result.

I have my temp probe up against the side of the fermenter in my chamber and fermented around 60-62F. Not sure how you're measuring temperatures or what your fermentation chamber is like, but I think you're probably good anywhere in the low-mid 60's.

Also, bitchin' El Camino. ;)

Thanks, I have a mini-fridge with an STC1000, tape the probe to the side of fermenter with some bubble pack to insulate. worked really well on my last batch. I guess I'll lower the fermentation temp a little. Did you increase it after active fermentation was complete?

And thanks for the complement on the Elky. Chevelle forum helped through the restoration!

Thanks, I have a mini-fridge with an STC1000, tape the probe to the side of fermenter with some bubble pack to insulate. worked really well on my last batch. I guess I'll lower the fermentation temp a little. Did you increase it after active fermentation was complete?

And thanks for the complement on the Elky. Chevelle forum helped through the restoration!

I typically adjust my STC1000 up .5C per day after the first week or so of fermentation until it gets up to room temperature.

Has anyone done a double batch (12g) with this recipe? When I try to scale up the recipe in beersmith I end up with 15.1 oz each c60 and melanoiden and 1lb carafoam. Can anyone explain why?

Edit: Just noticed the double recipe was set for 75% eff and the single 70%.

When did you guys rack to secondary? Sorry I'm having trouble finding anything about primary and secondary fermentation on this 196 page thread. Thanks

When did you guys rack to secondary? Sorry I'm having trouble finding anything about primary and secondary fermentation on this 196 page thread. Thanks

First batch I did rack to secondary (about 10-14 days after primary fermentation) when drying hopping with 3 ounces of Citra, however the 2nd batch I made, I did not transfer into secondary, just popped the lid and through in my sack of dry hops in, turned out well.

My only discrepancy between my two batches of ZDC is the amount of hops I used during the boil process. I'll have to compare the 2, however I know I scaled back the amount on my 2nd batch, due to higher alpha% on my Citra when comparing to the OP, and I wanted to match the IBUs as well. The time between my 2 batches was over 6 months, so that "not so closed" bag of hops in my refrigerator are a potential cause along with the lesser amount of hops during the boil, affected the overall taste. Not in a bad way, it just didn't pack the same punch as my first batch.

I mashed at 150, I've been fermenting at around 63. I'm at about 72 hrs, fermentation with the s-04 seems to be slowing down so I bumped it to 65. Anyone else get pretty potent bumblegum/nectarine smell from their ferm cabinet?

I did not read any racking to the secondary so I'm dry hopping right into the primary which seems to be pretty consistent for ales. Total time on the trub will be around 3 weeks and that's just to ensure all fermentation has completed. I know I did mess up the process somewhere along the line with the new equipment- one, I was doing a 5 gallon batch and had 7 gallons after chilling the wort and I'm projecting around 5.5 %. Oh well as long as it doesn't get infected I will be happy. Even micromanaging the temps in the ferm cabinet has been a ride. The first 72 hrs keeping the temps down was a chore now I'm need to try to warm the carboy up. My guess is again because s-04 is slowing down.

I pitched one packet per the brewmaster at the local home brew store. Probably should have pitched two packets but it was fermenting 12 hours in. Looks like the yeast woke back up for me 72 hrs in.... Now my temps are sky rocketing in the ferm cabinet. Now I have to drop the temps to correct, pain in the a$$.... no thermowell as I use a 1.25 inch blow off tube in the carboy...

By the way I did a slightly different hop schedule given alpha content on my citra.

I pitched one packet per the brewmaster at the local home brew store. Probably should have pitched two packets but it was fermenting 12 hours in. Looks like the yeast woke back up for me 72 hrs in.... Now my temps are sky rocketing in the ferm cabinet. Now I have to drop the temps to correct, pain in the a$$.... no thermowell as I use a 1.25 inch blow off tube in the carboy...

By the way I did a slightly different hop schedule given alpha content on my citra.

Back