Threads you are tired of seeing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
282250_440249639344469_1341018921_n.jpg

The threads don't bother me since they're easy to ignore. I am tired of seeing great threads destroyed by "subbed" posts when the OP has started a project / experiment and will return later will their progress / results. No one wants to go through 10 pages of "subbed" before finally getting to the next piece of relevant information.

I farted in my bottling bucket to purge the O2 out. FYI I was wearing a flatulence deodorizer. Will my beer be infected now or do you think my flatulence deodorizer captured all the contaminants? Also is this common practice? If not how does one purge oxygen out so my beer does not become oxidized?

I farted in my bottling bucket to purge the O2 out. FYI I was wearing a flatulence deodorizer. Will my beer be infected now or do you think my flatulence deodorizer captured all the contaminants? Also is this common practice? If not how does one purge oxygen out so my beer does not become oxidized?

I hear that beer purged with fart gas goes well with Mexican food. Then you can fart some more, purge O2 from the next batch, and the cycle continues...

I'm a member of a few forums. Some I've been on for nearly a decade. The one thing I hate to see is "we've discussed this before, search!" without pointing to it or helping with an answer.
At this point, when a forum has been around long enough, most everything has been discussed before. Should everyone just search and nobody starts any new threads? I find that neither friendly nor inviting.

If you have a question, ask it. My .02

Going past 4 generations of farts is not advisable, I freeze my farts in test tubes with glycerin. I think it's narrow minded of people to think we have covered every topic of brewing, especially because craft brewing is in it's infancy. Look at how complicated some of the HERMS systems are and how high tech the commercial breweries are. Isn't that what they teach you in college "be a critical thinker with an open mind"?

christopherrburns said:
Smug garbage like this. Go find a grammar forum if your so hung up on minutia.

I agree with you mostly and also the post you are responding to slightly. (Can't quote both I'm on my mobile right now.)

I believe a lot of you guys who get hung up on grammar a little too much, are forgetting that this is the Internet. The Internet is GLOBAL. And beer making is probably universal. (E.T is probably chillin at the bar with his alien boys right now)

What I'm getting at is that when you see some posts that aren't the clearest grammatically they could be from people who don't speak English primarily and are looking to try and make some beer but don't have access to a ton of info in their native language.

If you see the guy is from one of the states and types in an unintelligible way and is looking for answers when we aren't even sure what he is asking then I can see where some annoyance can come into play.

Gixxer said:
I pitched my yeast yesterday as soon as I turned the burner off, today I still have no airlock activity! Should I rack to secondary?

Honestly the repetitive threads don't bother me. Folks gotta learn somehow...

Funny!

I think it's narrow minded of people to think we have covered every topic of brewing, especially because craft brewing is in it's infancy. Look at how complicated some of the HERMS systems are and how high tech the commercial breweries are. Isn't that what they teach you in college "be a critical thinker with an open mind"?

Agreed.

Even if everything has already been discussed, that doesn't mean there were sufficiently specific, accurate, precise, or even correct answers given. There have definitely been times that I've searched and only found a tiny bit of discussion on a topic only to come up with my own answer that was different from what was discussed here.

I agree with you mostly and also the post you are responding to slightly. (Can't quote both I'm on my mobile right now.)

I believe a lot of you guys who get hung up on grammar a little too much, are forgetting that this is the Internet. The Internet is GLOBAL. And beer making is probably universal. (E.T is probably chillin at the bar with his alien boys right now)

What I'm getting at is that when you see some posts that aren't the clearest grammatically they could be from people who don't speak English primarily and are looking to try and make some beer but don't have access to a ton of info in their native language.

If you see the guy is from one of the states and types in an unintelligible way and is looking for answers when we aren't even sure what he is asking then I can see where some annoyance can come into play.

I have no problem with grammatical errors. Many people are not native English speakers, but many of the poor posts are not from those people.

I know quite a few forum members are posting from their mobile apps, but if they can't type out a coherent question because it takes too much time and energy, then I simply won't spend the time and energy myself typing out a full and complete response. I normally don't respond to any posts that use "text speak" like "u" for "you" for that reason, and I will not respond to a post that doesn't use any punctuation at all. I simply think that if a person who has a query can't be bothered to spend time formulating their question, then I can't be bothered to spend time formulating and typing an answer.

I'm not bothered in the least by questions, even if they are asked a thousand times in a weekend- because this is a forum called homebrewtalk and not homebrewsearch. :D I figure that if I just can't summon up the enthusiasm to answer the same question again that day that someone else well, and in a friendly manner. And that really is the important thing.

So I guess people who had to leave school at an early age to help on the farm to help support family members (some who never even learned to read or write until later in life, like my father). Or people with learning disabilities may want to think twice about posting a question on here for fear of being ignored and/or ridiculed??

Nice!!

:mad:

-deicide

I won't bust on someone when English isn't their native language, but mostly it's just laziness that torques me off and makes me want to go all Samuel L Jackson on someone...

(I edited out a potentially not safe for work video, I think you know what it was)

I'm not expecting anyone to know the proper use of a semi-colon, but is it really too much work to learn the difference between "your" and "you're"? "to" and "too"?

And that doesn't mean that I don't have a lot to learn from someone who doesn't use perfect grammar, punctuation, and spelling.

So I guess people who had to leave school at an early age to help on the farm to help support family members (some who never even learned to read or write until later in life, like my father). Or people with learning disabilities may want to think twice about posting a question on here for fear of being ignored and/or ridiculed??

Nice!!

-deicide

Well, do you mean that? Trust me, a person who worked hard on the farm and had to leave school to support family members, or who has a learning disability doesn't type, "I wnt to brew beer 2 drink no bubbly for 2 days cn u hlp plz?" They may make spelling or grammatical errors, but not use textspeak or be uncomprehensible.

My own dad (who just passed away) was a great example of that. He was uneducated but smart as a whip. He didn't write letters or read books, because he really couldn't. But if he had a question to ask, or someone to send a thank you card to- he could certainly do that. and with respect. He may have spent more time than I did on writing that note- but he could do it if we wanted. If he was going to go on the internet and ask a question, it might have been short and have grammar issues- but he was smart enough to use spell check (sometimes!), and smart enough to use words instead of texting abbreviations.

That's the difference that we're talking about. Not someone who is trying to be respectful and trying to learn- that's pretty obvious. Some of us are older- we don't do texting and things so it's a foreign language to me. I speak 3 languages- but not textspeak. If someone wants to use "u" for "you"- that's absolutely fine. But they will not get a response from me. Since other brewers may not mind textspeak, they may respond.

I was just stating my own preferences for helping out newbies, and I'm sure that it did not come across that I wouldn't help someone with a disability.

Nice!!

-deicide

I've always wondered why people need to sign posts with their user name that's right next to their post, but I'm just a dyslexic farmer who dropped out of high school...

I'll admit that I mostly just stick to my 'hang out' threads where I chat with the same crew, but I do check the 'lambic and wild' subforum daily. 90-95% of posts in there are similar to something that's been posted in the last week or maybe month at the most and I don't see why anyone keeps answering them.

Hey just be cool to each other and if you don't like the repetitive post or question or grammar just ignore it and move on to those that interest you or you are interested in sharing your experience with others that may not be as far along in the hobby

This run on sentence is brought to you by the public school system

The thread was initiated with a complaint about what I think is a non-issue. We're not here to whine. We're not here to put on an air of superiority. We are here to discuss brewing and, especially in the beginners forum, questions are going to be asked more than once. Further, if you do a search, you'll see that the answers to some of the questions that are asked the most have changed dramatically over the years. Of the remaining commonly repeated questions, a large number of them are questions which the answer differs from (or is more specific than) what kit instructions state. If someone feels they are above answering a question or looking at a thread, I think he/she should be able keep scrolling to the next one that is at "their level" without complaining.

TNGabe, I don't frequent the lambic forum so I'm not speaking about and can't comment on those threads.

First off I apologize if I came off as rude.
I volunteer several days a week after work helping developmentally
disabled adults be able to live on their own. So this is something very close to my heart so I probably took things way to literally.

@Yooper: I do kinda agree with you on the "text talk". Being born in 1970 it's not something I grew up with either(heck I have no idea what that sentence you wrote in your post means either..lol).
Very sorry to hear about your father, I feel so lucky to have my father still with us after some health scares over the last couple years. He's 71 and still goes to work every day not because he has to but because he enjoys it and has been with the same company for 43 years now. Think I need to relax and have a couple home brews!!

As for why I sign my forum name at the bottom of every post.
Long ago in a galaxy.... errr back when a 2400 baud modem was considered fast I ran several dial in BBS's and the only way to tell who posted what was by adding it to the post and old habits die hard.

Once again sorry if I jumped the gun but it seems sometimes in this day and age people assume everybody had the same opportunities for education.

Off to the kegerator!! :mug:

-deicide

Oh, come on now. You're just sour because of all that lambic crap you've been drinking! :ban:

I think my being sour preceded my introduction to lambic, though perhaps I've become more sour as it's become so much harder to procure.

I'm sick and tired of reading all these threads about beer. I mean, seriously...don't you people have anything better to talk about?

Wait. Where am I? Who are you people?

Yooper said:
I have no problem with grammatical errors. Many people are not native English speakers, but many of the poor posts are not from those people.

I know quite a few forum members are posting from their mobile apps, but if they can't type out a coherent question because it takes too much time and energy, then I simply won't spend the time and energy myself typing out a full and complete response. I normally don't respond to any posts that use "text speak" like "u" for "you" for that reason, and I will not respond to a post that doesn't use any punctuation at all. I simply think that if a person who has a query can't be bothered to spend time formulating their question, then I can't be bothered to spend time formulating and typing an answer.

I'm not bothered in the least by questions, even if they are asked a thousand times in a weekend- because this is a forum called homebrewtalk and not homebrewsearch. :D I figure that if I just can't summon up the enthusiasm to answer the same question again that day that someone else well, and in a friendly manner. And that really is the important thing.

This just reinforces what i said and i thank you for posting about it Yoop, (hope you dont mind my abbreviation, or shortening of your profile name) while you are right that perhaps the majority of questions are from the lazy mobile app slang poster. The few that are posted by "non english" speakers should be given a little slack. English is an extremely difficult language to use and never mind master. The majority of us americans would not be accused or acclaimed for mastering it.

That was all i was getting at. I will be the first
To admit i posted a thread about my perfectly beautiful krausen being infected. I asked because i didnt know. My question was answered courteously and patiently(i knew it might be annoying but i asked anyway). But since then i have gained some knowledge and experience and have answered quite a few "noobie" questions and threads about the same things i asked about. Since then i have considered it a privilege to answer any questions ive had the capacity to answer. Most of what i learned has been from this site and books critically acclaimed by members of this site. The point of my ramblings is.. I guarantee most of those jerks posting "search the forum" have been where all of the noobies have, looking for answers. But they forgot they were there..stay humble my friends. Stay humble.

Billy-Klubb said:
Bolt Thrower kicks way more @$$ than Deicide. I'm just sayin'.

I think we can all agree that Bolt Thrower is better than Deicide, but it is kinda like comparing different beers. It's totally subjective, and they're both world class examples of their style. I guess what I'm trying to say in this self-contradicting rant is can't we all just agree that beer and death metal are awesome and get along?
Also that posts with no punctuation whatsoever can be slightly annoying.

I find it really disappointing to start reading a thread that has some good information in it and then it takes a hard right turn into a pissing match between two people that can't disagree in a mature fashion. Other than that, if I don't like a thread, for any reason, then I don't read it. I also tend to over-use commas. Which swmbo (who has a master's in education) has learned to ignore.

I really do not care when I see a duplicated thread. Typically its beginner questions or people looking for information who are just asking for help.

What I find annoying is people who feel they have to comment after someone posts a supposedly duplicated thread, telling the OP that its already been answered, why don't you use the search feature, and so on. How about instead of berating someone, you assist them with the information they are looking for, and if you have it in you, kindly inform them about the ability to search within the forums.

I do not think new, repeated threads are really a bad thing. It shows that this forum is clearly active and growing, and it means new people are getting into the hobby. So instead of complaining about it, help these people who annoy you so much and in a nice way point them to the ability to search instead of making these types of pointless threads. If it bothers you so much, maybe this isn't the place for you.
Sometimes the suggestion to search isn't a bad thing. It would be nice if everybody at least made an effort to find the information in an older thread. Sometimes the answer just isn't there but many times it can be found with a quick Google search. I would never use the Homebrewtalk search. Google with "Homebrewtalk" added to the end of the search will usually get you where you want.

I worry more about all the new threads asking questions and getting bad advice because longtime posters don't want to answer the same question over and over again.

Latest posts

Back