Thoughts Wire Rack Brew Stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erbe

Reaction score
I have a few of these Wire Racks at my shop, Thinking of using the 72 wide x 24 deep x 60 tall, hold 600lbs per shelf, with castors rated 1200lbs, I think it would work perfect for 3 15 gal kettles, pumps, bottom storage.

Thought???

Are you going gas or electric? If electric with the proper insulation (thick wood base) I don't see why these wouldn't work. For gas though...I agree with the previous posts.

I have a smaller version of a rack like that, 18 x 36 inches. I think that the 600 lb. load rating is almost the failure point. One 15 gal. Blickman kettle on one side with 12 gal. of wort and a 11 gal. mash tun half full causes it to deflect almost 1/4" in the center. I'm switching to a strut based stand this fall.

In my old neighborhood there was a guy who brewed 10gal batched on these. Keggles went on top, burner went below, with the flames shooting through and heating up the metal. As far as i know he's not dead yet as "only" the central support "spar" is red hot/useless. Overtime the wire grid in the flame area have been distorted but the load seems to have been picked up by the front and rear spars.

I wouldn't do it.

Again, I have a few racks here and was just thinking is I reinforce the middle section of shelf's (Have to take a pic to show) then I was thinking some Diamond Alum over the Burner Shelf (going to use two S.S. Blichmann Floor Standing Burners )
I am also getting some bids on just building steel rack system on casters.

Here's some pics

ForumRunner_20130806_115651.jpg

ForumRunner_20130806_115651.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130806_115752.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130806_115752.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 832
Back