Thoughts on this stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SciencePig

Reaction score
I got this simple recipe for the forum but can't remember who wrote it or the thread title. However; when I wrote it down I forgot to include 4oz oat malt. I think the stout will still be good, but if some of you believe the beer will be better with the oat malt or a chocolate malt please let me know.

9 lbs 2 row (dark)
1.5 lbs flaked barley
14 oz black barley
4 oz oat malt - forget this one in the bill
2oz Sorachi Ace

Thanks and cheers!

Oats are supposed to give a silkiness to the mouthfeel. You won't really get much flavor from them. You could use flaked oats (Quaker oatmeal) in place of the oat malt.

So my brew had issues cooling and the blowoff tube passed water star San mix in to the Carboy. I re-aerated the wort but I think the yeast is dead. I pitched higher than I normally do. It was around 90 or higher. Don't ask why because I don't know why I did. So the question; if I can't get Nottingham would an Irish stout yeast like Wlp004 from white labs cause off flavors since there are two yeast types?

So my brew had issues cooling and the blowoff tube passed water star San mix in to the Carboy. I re-aerated the wort but I think the yeast is dead. I pitched higher than I normally do. It was around 90 or higher. Don't ask why because I don't know why I did. So the question; if I can't get Nottingham would an Irish stout yeast like Wlp004 from white labs cause off flavors since there are two yeast types?

Before you do anything else take a sample with your hydrometer. Your yeast probably aren't dead, they are fairly hard to kill but they may have done the bulk of the fermentation when you weren't looking.

SciencePig said:

Mixing two yeast strands won't cause the off flavors, there are quite a few mixed strands out there for homebrew purposes. Fermenting out of the ideal range for either one would cause your off flavors. It would be an interesting experiment to try out, but make sure to check the ideal ferm temps for both strands before you do.

Added cold brew coffee to a secondary yesterday. Let it set for 24 hours. I'm now going to add more cold brew to it and keg it. I figure this way it's more coffee and after it's in the keg I can just connect the gas and go.

Back