Thoughts on no sugar in the barrel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickrjsmith

Reaction score
Interested in peoples thoughts on not adding sugar to prime a barrel, just getting the beer into the barrel and injecting one sparklet of Co2?

Sparklet of CO2? I assume you mean a cartridge and that might not be quite enough to get the level of carbonation you want. You could add some sugar and then use the cartridge or just use the sugar to carbonate.

I usually prime and then put a CO2 cartridge in at the same time.

I usually have to add another about half way through the barrel to get the resat of the beer out (my tap is at the top).

I just wondered about the taste profile of not adding any sugar????

I usually prime and then put a CO2 cartridge in at the same time.

I usually have to add another about half way through the barrel to get the resat of the beer out (my tap is at the top).

I just wondered about the taste profile of not adding any sugar????

I really can't help yeah dude. :D Its over my head what your doing i have never used a barrel before.

I've never used a barrel before but right away my thought is why not rack it out and bottle it? Or keg it if you have the setup?

A pressure barrel is a very basic keg. It is 'force carbonated' with s30 co2 cylinders but in my experience they are only useful for topping up the co2 as you're drinking. If you were to try to carbonate from that alone you would have to use a lot of them.

Back