Thoughts on a random hop IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanofreak

Reaction score
Have a lot of hops about. Any thoughts on what this would all do together?

4# Weyermann Pale Ale
3.25# Briess GOLD LME
3# Golden Promise
2# Crisp Roasted Barley
12oz Simpsons Medium Crystal
8oz Aromatic Malt

3oz Warrior 60min
20z Northern Brewer 45 Min
1oz Centenial 40 Min
1oz Centenial 30 Min
1oz Cascade 20 Min
1oz Cascade 1 Min

Safale S04

Quick brew pal calc puts just your warrior at a face punching 199 ibu's
Hummmmm. All the other additions puts you in the low 300's. Maybe use 1oz of warrior @60 and do an oz at flameout. Then save one for dry hop along with 1oz of the northern brewer?

Beercalculous has me at well under that for ALL of the hops. Perhaps I did something wrong there.

Centennials and Cascades go very well together, and Warrior could be bittering hop for either. I think Northern Brewer is the odd man out.

For an IPA, the roasted barley has no place. Probably just use the LME, either the pale ale malt or Golden Promise (or both...check the gravity) and maybe 1/2 lb or so of Crystal.

The grain bil l itself is actually taken from a kit I really liked, with some extract added due to the amount of grain I can mash, turned it partial mash, may not be a strait ipa grain bill though.

Thanks for the tip on the northern brewers.

Have a lot of hops about. Any thoughts on what this would all do together?

I was having the same exact conversation with my brew buddy last night...we have random amounts of warrior, magnum, simcoe, amarillo, and perle in the freezer and were trying to figure out what to brew next weekend to use some of them up.

Use only about 1 oz of Warrior. If you are looking for big hop flavor, stick big quantities of Cascade and Centennial (or anything else that works for flavor) in from 20 minutes-->0 minutes. As for what to do with the Northern brewer, put some into the dry hop mix. The stuff at 60 minutes just makes it bitter -- no flavor. So only add enough to get you to at most 60 IBU and do the rest with late hops (anything over 100 is wasted, I'm told)

Also, I agree the roasted part will affect(negatively, IMHO) the hop flavor of the IPA. Use up to a pound of crystal or munich, or something like that if you want a little malt flavor. But IPAs are not about malt. They are about hops. Flavor hops.

Also, I agree the roasted part will affect(negatively, IMHO) the hop flavor of the IPA. Use up to a pound of crystal or munich, or something like that if you want a little malt flavor. But IPAs are not about malt. They are about hops. Flavor hops.

This grain bill is what is used in about every surly furious clone that I have ever seen. I enjoy that beer, and grain wise it was what I was looking for. It is the hops part I really needed insight with, and think I got it.

way too much bittering adds, not enough late adds. 40 and 45mins are utterly useless and 30 is awfully close. if you're not bittering, keep it 20 mins or under.

I agree with ditching northern brewer from the group, but nothing wrong with late warrior adds

This grain bill is what is used in about every surly furious clone that I have ever seen. I enjoy that beer, and grain wise it was what I was looking for. It is the hops part I really needed insight with, and think I got it.

You typed the grain bill wrong...it's 2 oz of roasted barley. Not 2 pounds. Big dif, as I'm sure you know. Anyway, the roasted barley is just for color. Everyone will understand it now.

Also, drop the northern brewer and an ounce of the warrior. Add that ounce of warrior late, like 5 minutes.

way too much bittering adds, not enough late adds.

I agree. Bomb it with warrior at 60 minutes and then start doing late adds at 20 or 15 and do them every 5 min or so. I would also remove the Northern Brewer.

Back