Thoughts on a Dunkel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72westie

Reaction score
We have a Oktoberfest coming up soon and our Homebrew club is doing a brewing demonstration. Another brewer and I are each brewing a Dunkel using a recipe I have made up. We are going to use the White labs German Lager yeast in one batch and the WYeast in the other.

I have came up with this after reading/looking at a bunch of different recipes. Tell me if I am on the right track or what tweaks I should make. Kind of want it similar to Ayingers Dunkel.

Thanks in advance

dunkel.jpg

I think you have too many crystal malts but it might work. Definitely make sure you use some good german munich malt. If you are going to use a domestic, scale back the amount. You can go 100% with german munich but the north american stuff is often intended as a specialty malt with an exaggerated flavour.

I think you have too many crystal malts but it might work. Definitely make sure you use some good german munich malt. If you are going to use a domestic, scale back the amount. You can go 100% with german munich but the north american stuff is often intended as a specialty malt with an exaggerated flavour.

Agree completely. I'd simplify the recipe by eliminating the crystals and bump up the percentage of Munich malt.

I too would cut out or reduce the crystal. Definitely delete the c120. A small caramunich might be oK. (4-8oz max). I'm looking into a Dunkel at the moment. Aiming for 0-4% crystal malt.

8oz of Vienna. I'd up the Vienna or omit it. 8oz is kind of neither here nor there.

I'd increase the IBU's. Try inputting 2oz at 60 mins, see where it gets you.

Maybe even another 1oz at 30-40 mins to get the IBU's upped and in range.

Ok, I will drop out the 120l and up the Vienna some. Thanks for the inputs. I will let you know how it comes out.

Ended up brewing this up a couple weeks ago. A couple other guys did the same recipe too. I am transferring it Wednesday so I will have a sample and picture then. Thanks for the inputs. It was looking good.

image.jpg

Back