100% barke munich dunkel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmr9

Reaction score
I’m curious if anyone has brewed a Munich dunkel (or similar) using 100% Barke Munich malt. I recently brewed a nice altbier with barke Pils and Munich but it was heavier on the Pils. I know a lot of people have had great success with barke Pils or Vienna SMaSH beers in the past but what about the Munich?

I’ve been meaning to crack into the lager world so I thought this might be a good place to start. I’ve been trying to comb the internet for recipes and it seems like it’s either all Munich (light, dark or a mix) or sometimes has some Pils thrown in for fermentability. I’m thinking if I do another hochkurz mash it should attenuate well even if it’s 100% Munich malt

One of my often frequented sites! I think I’ll give this a go with all barke munich end of next month.

I’ve been meaning to crack into the lager world so I thought this might be a good place to start. I’ve been trying to comb the internet for recipes and it seems like it’s either all Munich (light, dark or a mix) or sometimes has some Pils thrown in for fermentability. I’m thinking if I do another hochkurz mash it should attenuate well even if it’s 100% Munich malt
If you're looking to increase fermentability you might try adding 5%~10% Distillers' Malt to greatly increase the diastatic power in the grist. That, along with a Hoch-Kurz mash, would give you very good attenuation with no effect on flavor and minimal effect on color.
(250°Lintner, 2°~4° Lovibond).

At long last ab update!

So I brewed this up in early august. All barke munich with a dash of blackprinz for color. Hochkurz mash to ensure attenuation, bittered with magnum and a half oz of hallertauer mittelfruh for aroma, wlp833 with a huge starter fermented at 48 for 2 weeks, diacetyl rest for a couple days, crashed and kegged.

I think it tastes good, but it’s lacking just a touch in malt character oddly enough. Almost muted in a way. Maybe next time I’ll do a single infusion instead of hochkurz mash. Maybe that lead to a touch too much attenuation and loss of malt character?

I submitted it to 2 local competitions. In the first it scored a 37 - not too bad! The second is at the very beginning of December. Depending on the score, I may toss it at one more comp. I hope it scores a touch better in this second competition!

At long last ab update!

So I brewed this up in early august. All barke munich with a dash of blackprinz for color. Hochkurz mash to ensure attenuation, bittered with magnum and a half oz of hallertauer mittelfruh for aroma, wlp833 with a huge starter fermented at 48 for 2 weeks, diacetyl rest for a couple days, crashed and kegged.

I think it tastes good, but it’s lacking just a touch in malt character oddly enough. Almost muted in a way. Maybe next time I’ll do a single infusion instead of hochkurz mash. Maybe that lead to a touch too much attenuation and loss of malt character?

I submitted it to 2 local competitions. In the first it scored a 37 - not too bad! The second is at the very beginning of December. Depending on the score, I may toss it at one more comp. I hope it scores a touch better in this second competition!
If I were going after more maltiness, I'd use the bittering charge only and remove the aroma and or taste additions. Great pick on the WLP833, that's my favorite. I usually try to age these out about 90 days, and test it along the way.

It’s been in keg since September 13th - I agree 100% the extra time really helps a lot. I drank a pint a couple weeks after kegging and I was disappointed. Fast forward to now and it’s much better.

Next time I’ll drop the flavor/aroma and maybe do 80% barke munich and maybe 20% Munich II or something like that. Maybe that’ll add just a bit extra.

I’m sure it’ll be around come mid-December for a 90 day sample. I recently picked up a few extra kegs so if 90ish days is the sweet spot I’ll be able to plan ahead for a long lager.

Decided to enjoy a pour of the dunkel tonight. It didn’t do as well in the second competition but I like it!

Attachments

• 4FA46F59-9FA3-405A-9330-0392CC5B1F52.jpeg
    4FA46F59-9FA3-405A-9330-0392CC5B1F52.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I’d say go for it! Only change I would make from this attempt is to do a single infusion at like 152 instead of the hochkurz mash I did. I don’t know if it’s the hochkurz or not but the body was just a touch thin.

I'm looking to brew a Munich Dunkel this year, probably around June so it'll hit its prime around November. Here's what I was thinking:

50% Weyermann Munich I (Because I have a full sack of it)
25% Dark Munich (Weyermann or Bestmalz if I can get it)
22% Bestmalz Pilsner
3% Weyermann Carafa II
22 IBU bittering addition at 60 minutes
WY2308 Munich Lager yeast
Double decoction 140F, 156F, 170F
Primary at 50F, rack to keg 2 gravity points above FG, spund at 15 psi
Lager at 35F for ~12 weeks

I don't have much experience with dunkels, but the one I did several years back turned out good. The few dunkels I get in Germany taste like Helles with a slight chocolate flavor. German brewers believe in restraint. I'm looking for a bit more Munich punch.

Last edited:
Back