Those little Ice Packs from AHS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
Do they do anything??? I payed $.99 for one to keep my hops and yeast chilled and when I opened up the box the damn thing was luke warm, my yeast looked like chicken broth.

I get them...and if you time your order properly...Saturday or Sunday, they work great. I had a vial of yeast sit in transit over the weekend during our streak of 52 days in a row over 90, cause like an idiot, I placed an order on WEDNESDAY! I'm not got too high of hopes for that one. But otherwise...I think it's a good dollar to spend.

Do they do anything??? I payed $.99 for one to keep my hops and yeast chilled and when I opened up the box the damn thing was luke warm, my yeast looked like chicken broth.

Sure they help, so long as you live close enough that shipping takes no more than a day or two. Beyond that, probably not.

I simply don't mail order liquid yeast in the warm weather months, it's too risky. Thankfully I use dry yeast 80% of the time, and my LHBS has a well stocked yeast/hops fridge. Now I know that everybody doesn't have that luxury...in that case, order the cold pack and hope for the best!

Even if they arrive warm, they still decrease the amount of time your yeast was at warm temps. Plus, you can reuse them. This time of year I put my carboys in a water bath with cold ice packs in it.

I highly recommend having several varieties of dry yeast on hand for emergencies. They last for a minimum of 2 years and even longer in the fridge.

When we receive the yeast from the manufacturer (3 day shipment) the ice packs are luke warm as well. They protect the yeast for the majority of the shipment.

Any liquid yeast that has been warmer than 40 degrees for over a day will have some lag time. This is normal.

Some homebrew stores buy liquid yeast from a distributor we do not. The yeast gets shipped to the distributor 2/3 way across the country. They buy in bulk so the yeast has been at the distributor for a little while. Then the yeast gets shipped to the small stores on a truck for 3-4 days. There will be a long lag time with this yeast.

If there is ever a problem with the yeast we sell let us know. Have some dry yeast on hand for emergencies and we will give you credit for the yeast. We can't ship you a yeast overnight for your batch and if we shipped a replacement, the batch would be too long without yeast. We will issue you a credit for your next yeast.

We will do this on the honor system. We want to trust you that you didn't add the yeast at flame out.

Forrest

I can vouch for that had one re-shipped the other day got there very fast i called and it was shipped same day even! WTG AHB

Oh, and those are great to have on hand afterward too....I use mine in the sink with water to cool down my starter wort.

Oh, and those are great to have on hand afterward too....I use mine in the sink with water to cool down my starter wort.

How are you guys re-using them? They seem to be one and done!

- thanks for setting my suspicions aside everyone, i just wanted to make sure that they worked at some point to keep the yeast and hops cool during shipment. Forrest, I trust in what you said about the re-shipment of yeast if the current one failed, I suppose ill just have to keep AHS updated on that one.

-Thanks

+ to everything said. I just used some of them to pack in a lunch cooler when I went to my LHBS. It gave me something to put my yeast in until I got home.

Latest posts

Back