This looks rare. Any info on it would be appreciated.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virginiawolf

Reaction score
I was at a homebrew party last night and my friend showed me this bottle he got from a basement he was cleaning out. They said he could have it. The cork looks good to me. He said that what he could find dated it back to the 30s but he couldn't find much with the name Curacoa spelled Curacoa and that the company Old Mission had gone out of business a long time ago. I said I would put a pic on the forum to see if anyone could share any knowledge on it that I could share with him. The artwork and the bottle is really cool I thought.
Any info would be appreciated. It's for a friend.
Thank You!!!:mug:

oldbottlestillcorked_zps5df87369.jpg
[/IMG]

Blue curacao is what they make the Blue Hawaiian drink with. Seems to me another one is made with orange peels. Def looks old. Any dates on it?

I didn't see any dates on it. It was amazing that the condition was so good. I just looked around the internet a bit. I found some of the stoneware bottles selters Nassau. None had labels but the approximate date was " The bottle was likely dated from the late 18th or the early 19th century. " That was a German one.

Here are some links I found so far

http://www.antiquebottles.co.za/Pages/Categories/StoneGins.htm

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...u.TRS0&_nkw=selters+nassau&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I didn't find anything on The Golden Gate Fruit Company

The lower right seal pic in the first link looks like the one on yours. Not sure about 2nd link,but the snd one from the top resembles yours. Take real good care of your bottle. Even rarer yet with label,contents & cork still in place. i think it'd be worth a heck of a lot more than 60 bucks like the empty one with no cork or liquid.

I will let my friend know abut the curaco link you sent me. Thanks! I guess this company is so long gone that there isn't much info on it. I was hoping that someone would have a bottle like it or know about the production of it or something. I just love that art on the label. When he first showed it to me I said," What is that? Toulouse-Lautrec absinthe ? Cause the art was like those old French art posters. Pretty cool.

I will let my friend know abut the curaco link you sent me. Thanks! I guess this company is so long gone that there isn't much info on it. I was hoping that someone would have a bottle like it or know about the production of it or something. I just love that art on the label. When he first showed it to me I said," What is that? Toulouse-Lautrec absinthe ? Cause the art was like those old French art posters. Pretty cool.

Wow- first reference I've seen to Toulouse-Lautrec on this forum! I went to the Moulin Rouge when I was 18 or 19, just because I wanted to be there and see the posters. Not too many people think of him any more.

Anyway, I agree that the label is awesome!

Does it feel full? Alcohol will evaporate through glass over 100 years to some extent and I'm assuming even more through a cork and ceramic. Pop it open and let us know what it tastes like...

I have several hundred+ year old ceramic wine bottles from Germany and France. I love the art on them and the history of alcohol production. Very nice find. If you ever want to sell it let me know. I'd be very interested. Also I could pick it up.

Thank you for the link to the Golden Gate Fruit Company scutly!! I appreciate you taking the time!!!! It proves that the bottle is old.

I'm glad that you like the Toulouse-Lautrec reference Yooper. The art from then was so specific I like it. It is a very nice label and in great condition. It is cool that you went to the Moulin Rouge. I saw the movie but I don't know that much about it really. I tried absinthe. I was excited to try it but I didn't like that Anise flavor. I wish I did though. It was expensive.

The Bottle is perfect. I am not an expert but it looks corked perfect not dried out and is full. I never saw a corked bottle such as that. It looks like the people behind the production of the beverage put some effort into the whole thing. It really is like a work of art. If I had to guess it would still be good or.. you wouldn't find a better example at least. It isn't mine. The guy that owns it deals with old cars and cleaning out houses and seems to stumble on things like 50 dollar vintage Gibson Guitars and stuff like that. He got lucky getting that bottle. I don't know if he wants to sell it but I suppose if the price was right he might. I don't think he knows what it is worth that is partly why I asked on here. I will mention it to him that you are interested Gitmoe. We are a bit of a haul from Norristown. That bottle is worth seeing. It's really cool.

Thanks a bunch. If I had it I would take some better photos. I just took those at the party with my phone.

Back