Looking for info on old Budweiser kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laeyein

Reaction score
20230624_204610.jpg
20230624_204315.jpg
20230624_204624.jpg
20230624_204631.jpg

20230624_204637.jpg

I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about this unit? It's been sitting around on my back porch for forever just getting nasty, it's definitely nonfunctional, but if the "frame" is worth something I'd like to try to make it work. I can't find anything about a Budweiser themed keg searching online and figured this would be the place to check (also cross-posted to reddit), so any info/help is appreciated! I can post more pics if needed. Thanks and have a nice day!

What part of it is non-functional? Does it run at all? The label on the inside that has the model number and type of refridgerant would be the most informative, can you take a legible close up of that?
The tap looks to be an old PC one, so the shank probably is too. You can replace lines, shank and tap and if the tower is just chrome and doesn't polish up, you can paint it or replace it reasonably. If it's an old R-12 unit, but still runs, it can be recharged with R-600 (which actually makes it much more efficient), but you need the gear or a licensed operator to do that by-the-book.

What part of it is non-functional? Does it run at all? The label on the inside that has the model number and type of refridgerant would be the most informative, can you take a legible close up of that?
The tap looks to be an old PC one, so the shank probably is too. You can replace lines, shank and tap and if the tower is just chrome and doesn't polish up, you can paint it or replace it reasonably. If it's an old R-12 unit, but still runs, it can be recharged with R-600 (which actually makes it much more efficient), but you need the gear or a licensed operator to do that by-the-book.
attached a picture of the inner label.

i was afraid to plug it in because the prongs were bent up and rusty, but i gave it a quick clean and popped it into a socket and the bottom motor kicked on! set it to ~4 just to see if it would get cold. the fan up top doesn't seem to be running, but i've never messed with a kegerator before so i'm not sure if it needs to be?

edit: just ran back outside to check and it did get (somewhat) cold! the motor in the bottom had shut off and it was making a strange sound so i just turned it off.

Attachments

• 20230717_145256.jpg
    20230717_145256.jpg
    630.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The fan on top should be running, that's the recirculation fan which also keeps the unit from icing up.... not often, but occasionally they have a circuit to switch it in after a certain run-point.. let it go for a while and see if it comes on. Maybe put a thermometer inside and if it drops to 0° and keeps running, then worry a bit...Do worry a bit though if the recirc fan doesn't come on...You'll have to figure out why.
To start to try and put a date on it, you can look here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,1,1,2-TetrafluoroethaneTo my knowledge, most HVAC places will still work with R-134a, so if it needs it, you should still be able to get a recharge pending local regulations. I'm hoping someone else from Florida with HVAC knowledge will weigh in here.
Are you a DIY'er, or do you feel OK with mucking about with wiring? If so; some units have schematics on the underside.
Here's a start with yours:
https://static-pt.com/modelManual/BM23_spm.pdf?v=1532002579817https://www.homebrewtalk.com/search/6092146/?q=bm-23&o=relevancePersonally: Welcome to HBT! That's a beautiful piece of history, or at least will be and in my opinion, will be every bit as desirable in 10-20 years as steel Coke-Cola coolers were when I was a kid... It'd be a shame to see it fall by the wayside.

thank you both for the help! i'm sure between my bf and i we'll be able to figure it out. if anyone has any other tips for first time kegerator builders, I'd very much appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back