This "HEAT DOME" %$#@ing sucks!!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcory77

Reaction score
I can't get my wort cooler than 80 degrees and I have a pre-chiller on my IC. I hate this heat dome......who is with me?!!!!!!!!!

Piss on you heat dome!!!!!!!!!

I brewed an ESB anyway........waiting to pitch the yeast right now, but it is what it is, I gotta brew when I can, so I will deal with it, but I am still not happy about the 105 degree weather we are getting.

OK.....I'm done ranting.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Yep, not brewing right now. Too hot. Brewing outside is out of the question without running recirculated ice water through a wort chiller. The pump I want is about $80 and I can't shell it out right now... So, gotta wait for a little cooler weather.

I brewed outside today 110 degrees with very high humidity. I could only get my wort to 80 as well but I stuck it in the swamp cooler and pitched about two hours later. Good times.

I regularly can't get my wort cooler than 80 degrees. I just put it in the fermentation fridge and wait for it to cool. That heat dome looks fierce, fine time for a vacation.

Brewed today (in Texas) and did as much inside as I could, but did my boil outside. The only positive is that when I put my mash outside I don't seem to lose any heat.

It's been hovering around 100F around here. Too hot to brew/Ferment. And we've got 2 ales sitting around waiting. Lucky thing late yesterday afternoon. A thunderstorm rolled in,cooled things way down. Still thunder & cloudy this morning.
Now if it would just stay this cool for 2 weeks...

I discovered when I went to AG brewing almost 3 years ago that I wanted nothing to do with that activity in high Summer or in the depths of Winter. Here at 40 North Latitude in central IL, all but necessary outdoor activities are very uncomfortable in those seasons. At that point, I put up more shelves and expanded my bottle inventory, and now confine my brewing to Spring & Fall.

We had a heat index above 120° here on Thursday. Yes, 120°F in Canada. Thank god for igloo insurance.

the heat index hit 117F (actual temp 100F) in minnesota last week. i brewed AG, starting at 730 am to try and beat the heat. it was brutally hot by 9 am. but i brewed a light belgian pale ale and it is resting in my apartment hallway at about 85F.

lol @ all you people crying. It's been over 100 near every day since may here and I've been outside roofing, framing, siding, pouring concrete, etc. If I stopped brewing when it got hot I'd have to stop in may and wouldn't be able to start again till october. I've had to pack my second IC in ice just to get it to 80 everytime, then it gets several hours in the fermentation fridge.

You're part of the states that have a desert climate. We're supposed to be more temperate. This crazy heat wave is the highest it's been since we were kids in the 50's according to news men.

Waiting on my mash to be done as we speak. Its 9:30 and already 90 degrees, suppose to hit 102 today. Hopefully I will be all wrapped up by lunch time!

It was some 94F yesterday,late afternoon with the heat index over 100F. Then a big thunderstorm front blew in,temp shot down at least 10 degrees. It's been cool & breezy since. I wish it'd stay that way for a while,so I could get my wife going on the SA summer ale clone. Still hear thunder as we speak...

Well here at 43.71°N 85.48°W (Elev. 912 ft) 90F is uncommon and we have been hitting it regularly for 10 days or so. The strange thing is the night time lows above 70 are highly irregular and do not allow things to cool down enough. It looks likely to continue for a while but the night time lows are falling back into the low 60's which is still high, should be in the 50's here at night. I will be brewing next weekend and plan on doing in after the sunsets. In the mean time Lake Michigan water temp is still in high 50's / low 60's so time to go sit in the cool lake water....

In NYC we hit at least 103F yesterday. Its crazy hot inside and outside but I am managing to keep my ice bath at 62-68F. I dont know how long this heat wave will last but I need to make plans & purchases for the next brews.

1) I can repitch on the cake of my currently fermenting Honeyweizen. *No ordering of yeast online during this heat

2) French Saison / Belgian Ardennes / Leuven - are my yeast choices right now with 2 icepacks during shipment

I agree w stat QYB it's been over 100 for
For more than 30 days here in Texas. Heat dome my ass. I brewed in 105 two weeks ago

I'd rather sweat in the summer than shovel snow in the winter.
It is pretty damn humid though (even by Florida standards).
I started to build my fermentation chamber in my garage the other day, miserable. I could probably get a boil in my kettle just by putting it on the driveway for 15 minutes!!! Hmmm....the possiblities..... ;)

Just be happy you guys don't deal with that weather regularly. My last brew session was 114* and a little humid. Thankfully a little breeze kicked up dear the end of the day.

Well,so much for false hopes. Around noon,the storm clouds cleared,& it started getting hot again. Bacht! It's about 80F now...feels hotter.

I feel ya! I'm outside of Tulsa and it's almost 2:30 and I'm heading to the store to get ice to cool my wort! It sure sucks being in the garage and doing a boil but I have to have my beer! I'm going to throw the ice in to cool the wort, I did it a couple weeks ago also and I tried a green beer last night and it was okay so going to do it again!

I think I'll be drinking more beer during the process than the 5 gallon batch I'm making but what the hell!

Cheer bro!:mug:

And as for the SUV, yep driving it and this heat beats the cold any day! F Al, burn more gas! But remember we have to thank Al for inventing the internet! LOL

As a native of Sweden this weather sure does suck, I'd rather brew in a snow storm than sit outside in nature's oven. But I sure do love beer, so I'm just waiting for 5 o'clock so the driveways in shade and I can start brewing.

As a native of Sweden this weather sure does suck, I'd rather brew in a snow storm than sit outside in nature's oven. But I sure do love beer, so I'm just waiting for 5 o'clock so the driveways in shade and I can start brewing.

LOL well when it's cold I like my JD but give me the heat and it's beer thirty!:ban:

I'd rather sweat in the summer than shovel snow in the winter.

I would rather shovel snow than have to deal with this heat.... hot sucks, can only take off so much... in the winter I can layer or hell build a fire. You can have the heat... give me snow, lots of it!!!! and ice on the lake so I can go cut a hole in it and fish!!!!

I hear you Pivzavod, it has been a brutal weekend (relatively) here in Queens. There is no way I'm brewing tomorrow in my tiny apartment...unless there is a huge thunderstorm tonight, and then it's on tomorrow!:rockin:

I've got a few Belgians bubbling fermenting away and an Applewein that turned out well in the keezer, so it's all good either way :)

Waiting on my mash to be done as we speak. Its 9:30 and already 90 degrees, suppose to hit 102 today. Hopefully I will be all wrapped up by lunch time!

Figured I would give you a bit of an update. I completed my 10g brewday at 1:30 today, by that time it was at 102 degrees outside. How I cooled is as follows:

1) recirculate from boil kettle though plate chiller, back to kettle with normal tap water. I believe the tap water was at 90 degrees or so.

2) once my wort in the pot reached about 110 degrees or so, I shut off the hose and whirlpooled, letting it sit for 10 min.

3) used my old 50' CFC as a pre-chiller, that way my water was at least at 50 degrees or so before entering the plate chiller.

4) ran off my wort into my fermenters slowly, with the finish product going into the fermenters at 72 degrees.

Was it hot, hell yes
Was I covered in sweat, yes
Was it worth it, every time!

:mug:

Latest posts

Back