Bry-97 and a cool closet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
Ok, so here is the deal. My closet has been a good spot for my fermenters as it usually sits in the mid to high 60's most of the time. I just pitched Bry-97 into my 1.052 wort. Single hop experiment from Morebeer. My OG was a bit low, but still in the ballpark as Morebeer said it should range from 1.049 to 1054. I have been kinda watching it as I have a new toy, a Plaato Airlock. Pretty cool, but as is always the case, it gives me more to stress out about. I have noticed that we are getting into a relatively cool part of the year, and my closet is sitting at about 63 to 64. I have a heating blanket wrapped around the bucket but I don't think it is doing much good. I pitched it about 5 or so yesterday to wort that was at about 70 to 75 degrees. Well withing the range of pitch as I saw on the internet. My issue is, in the past, Bry-97 has taken off an really been active within the first 8 to 12 hours. This time, it is barely showing any activity as of now. I am going to check and see if the lid is tight on my bucket as that could be an issue, but I am pretty sure I made sure it sealed. I guess my question is, being at about 63 to 64 internal, is my closet too cold and causing a delay in the start of the yeast? The kit only cost me 30 bucks, and I got to use my new grain mill, so that was cool. Anyway, as always, any input is welcomed. Rock On!!!!!!!!

Yep, that temperature should be no problem.

For any dry yeast, I wouldn't worry about lag until I hit at least 48 hours with no clear activity. (And even when I started worrying, I probably wouldn't do anything.)

Generally a good idea to have pitch temperature around about fermentation temperature, or even a little lower.

Back