This grain hopper extension is for the dogs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bioguy

Reaction score
I was looking for an inexpensive way to add more capacity to the hopper for my grain mill. Here's what I came up with

2012-11-13-211735-57235.jpg

I call it the Elizabethan hopper extender. It's a re-purposed Elizabethan collar. My dog hated that thing.

The first batch we used it on was 44 lbs, and that took about an hour and a half of playing with the setup to get it right. The second batch was another 40 lb batch, and that one took about 45 min. This last batch was only 23 lbs, and it took 20 min. So, about a pound a minute right now, but the design isn't perfected yet. I'm going to add a guide and/or tensioner to the cog on the mill because the chain falls off unless it's perfectly aligned and the rider has a smooth pedal stroke. I'm thinking of using an old rear derailer for the chain guide/tensioner.

The first batch we used it on was 44 lbs, and that took about an hour and a half of playing with the setup to get it right. The second batch was another 40 lb batch, and that one took about 45 min. This last batch was only 23 lbs, and it took 20 min. So, about a pound a minute right now, but the design isn't perfected yet. I'm going to add a guide and/or tensioner to the cog on the mill because the chain falls off unless it's perfectly aligned and the rider has a smooth pedal stroke. I'm thinking of using an old rear derailer for the chain guide/tensioner.

Might as well go on and put a gear cluster on it while your at it.

Back