This does not look good. Help wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2nd Street Brewery

Reaction score
Ok I plan on brewing today. I left my tools, spoon, airlock thermometer etc soaking in an Idophor solution overnight in my Plastic primary fermenter. Tokk everything out this AM and dumped the solution and Holy **** my fermenter is stained red from the Idophor. I've done this before with out this happening so don't know what gives. Is this safe to use or am I asking for problems. Tried wiping off a small section with a clean paper towel but no good.

its fine, just stained, my primarys are stained from my idophor. It is normal for iodine to stain stuff, like your hands, rags, clothes.

thanks for the support. I only recently started using Idophor and this is the first time it stained one of my things. Takes a wieght off my shoulders. Guess I'll relax and have a homebrew. :)

Well everything is in the pot boiling away happy happy. Decided though I need to get a better method of measuring out odd amounts of DME. My little one pound cheap-o scale just don't cut it.

2nd Street Brewery said:
Well everything is in the pot boiling away happy happy. Decided though I need to get a better method of mesuring out odd amounts of DME. My little one pound cheap-o scale just don't cut it.

Good luck finding an affordable scale. Most stores are so concerned about drug dealers purchasing them that they simply don't carry decent digital scales. I was looking for one of the good old pot-weighing hanging scales of long ago and couldn't find anyone that sells them. Had to call up an ex-stoner buddy and borrow his.

The scales I did see were mostly postage scales and therefore gave their responses in 2 gram increments or in postage terms. The nice ones were over $100.

Look at Bed Bath & Beyond. You can get a good digital scale that measures in 1/8 oz increments (or grams) for about $25. I use mine all the time for hops, etc. Plus I use it in the kitchen also.

Kephren said:
Look at Bed Bath & Beyond. You can get a good digital scale that measures in 1/8 oz increments (or grams) for about $25. I use mine all the time for hops, etc. Plus I use it in the kitchen also.

I agree. Also check TJ Max... I got one yesterday for 16$ that does gram and 1/4 oz increments. Great investment, b/c you can buy ingredients in bulk as well. I bought enough ingredients for 4 batches of a Sunshine Wheat clone for 72$. :D

Back