This can't be

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobor_8thMan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Cleaning up things and I find a bottle cap with "VCA". This is my vanilla cream ale. I know it's been a while since I bottled a vanilla cream ale. I put the bottle into my beverage center and forgot about it.

Friday, September 13, 2019, as the spirits are conspiring against me, I pop the cap and pour myself the VCA. It is absolutely wonderful. Pleasant vanilla aroma and flavor.

Pouring thru my recipes, Promash and BeerSmith I belive I discover I brewed the VCA in June 2009 or February 2012. This can't be true. 10 years old or 7 years old and it tastes better than what I've recently brewed.

Recipe is basically simple.

Either DME or LME
Some Crystal 10L
Some CaraPils
Fuggle hops for bittering and again for flavoring.
US-05 yeast.

Steep the grains at 155F for 30 minutes. Normal brewing.

Secondary add lactose.

Bottling add pure vanilla.

This beer is fantastic. Last bottle. No way is it 2009 or 2012. If it is, how did it survive? How did it not degregate over time?

I now brew all grain all the time, but I've not come close to this brew.

I'm puzzled...

Last edited:
Beverage centers are very much a thing in upper-end kitchen and pantry reno's.
Basic models look pretty much like this...

911CdTj-K0L._SY679_.jpg

Cheers!

No, beverage center is small fridge. Glass door, removable shelves. Good for lagering (as a SS brewbucket fits). At least when I purchased it, it was called a beverage center. Maybe this is why HH Gregg went out of business in this area?

My ferm chamber is a full size fridge only, no freezer on top, I got from HH Gregg for about $450 way back; still runs like a champ. Maybe I helped put them out of biz? Also got my first chest freezer for lagering from them for way too little (from their point of view, I'd imagine.) Man, when I need to replace something, I hope I can find another doomed appliance chain with zero business sense!

my very first hef (Chicago Brew werks ) the last bottle was enjoyed not a month ago and I brewed it almost 2 yrs ago. it did end up as almost a Krystalweizen rather than the typical textbook heffy and cloudy. but it was still outstanding. Age does make a difference.

My ferm chamber is a full size fridge only, no freezer on top, I got from HH Gregg for about $450 way back; still runs like a champ. Maybe I helped put them out of biz? Also got my first chest freezer for lagering from them for way too little (from their point of view, I'd imagine.) Man, when I need to replace something, I hope I can find another doomed appliance chain with zero business sense!

Most interesting and definitely giving me ideas as I need more cold storage space. Unfortunately, I don't have room for a cold room/cold storage space (ideal, utopia).

By chance have a link to a fridge only?

Most interesting and definitely giving me ideas as I need more cold storage space. Unfortunately, I don't have room for a cold room/cold storage space (ideal, utopia).

By chance have a link to a fridge only?
Sorry, I just know it's a Frigidaire. I liked it because it didn't have things I didn't need, like the freezer or produce bins at the bottom, just a flat floor. A mini fridge would serve the purpose, with less wasted interior space, I just got this because it was too cheap to pass up, probably a closeout. If you can lift things in and out with no trouble, chest freezers are usually the cheapest cold space you can get.

Sorry, I just know it's a Frigidaire. I liked it because it didn't have things I didn't need, like the freezer or produce bins at the bottom, just a flat floor. A mini fridge would serve the purpose, with less wasted interior space, I just got this because it was too cheap to pass up, probably a closeout. If you can lift things in and out with no trouble, chest freezers are usually the cheapest cold space you can get.

Thanks for the reply. Possible to see a photo so I know what I'm trying to find? This sounds as if it will work for my needs.

OK, OK I found the recipe. This Vanilla Cream Ale was originally brewed August 5, 2017 all grain and bottled September 7, 2017.

Still. After 2 years in the bottle this was/is a wonderful brew.
Put the full all grain recipe in? I'd like to try something different and a vanilla cream ale sounds pretty good.

Back