This can't be good:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wawawrx

Reaction score
I brewed this AHS Chocolate Raspberry stout 3 weeks ago. The brew went completely according to plan, it was my 6th batch so I think I have the hang of this whole thing... or apparently not.

I put a blow off on and after 2 weeks I realized that the fermenter actually shrunk... so I guess I cause a vacuum? nevertheless, i took the blow off tube out and replaced it with an airlock. now I have this:

IMG_20100927_170134.jpg

IMG_20100927_170139.jpg

IMG_20100927_170232.jpg

So what exactly went wrong? I'll admit that I've gotten rather careless with the sanitization (i.e. I don't sanitize my scissors anymore). Is this mold? Can I just transfer to another fermenter and fix this little mishap?

big pictures, thanks droid.

Holy big pictures. It sure looks like mold. I think you answered your question with the "I've been careless with my sanitation" comment.

What was on the other side of your blowoff tube? Typically you submerge the end in sanitizer.

Were there major temperature swings where your fermenter was placed or did you seal the fermenter up when the wort was warmer than ambient? Either of those will cause the air and liquid to shrink and cause the vacuum.

Did you ever see signs of fermentation?

Gotta admit that doesn't look good. This might be a reminder as to what happens when you get lazy about sanitizing.

Is there any salvation to be had? I have always submerged my blowoff tubes in simply water... and have never had issues.

There's no harm in seeing this one out. Taste it, if you vomit from the awful taste, dump it, if it's only mildly bad or better, proceed.

If it was me id rack the beer to another well sanitized fermenter and make sure not to get any of the floating mold into the new carboy or bucket. Let it sit there for a bit, if no new mold grows the batch is probably salvageable.

It's mold, rack from underneath it in to a secondary or better yet a bottling bucket. The mold shouldn't affect the flavor, but if you got mold in there who knows what else you might have growing after a while. I say bottle/keg and drink, once they are all carbed then chill every single one of them just to be safe.

Gently rack it off and give a chance.

And if I may suggest... there is no need to take pictures of your beer with the Hubble telescope.

Woo. bigger is not better!

I personally would dump. Mold leaves a musky flavor/aroma. It is too much work to bottle, and then think about the funk every time you take a swig. You will be looking for the off flavors. I don't think you will enjoy this one.

Back